Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meter display unit not showing current usage

posted by Sinky | A year ago

I had smart meters installed in June but last night the dislay on the engery use meter thingy has started showing that I'm using silly amounts of gas when only the pilot light is on. It says I've used 73p of gas since midnight even though only the pilot is running.

Should I switch it off and back on? usually when I get in from work at 7am it says around 37p for both electricity and gas from midnight but just now it's showing £1.12 of which 73p is gas...

5 comments

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: Smart meter display unit not showing current usage

Small daily charges are part of your tariff, they are the standing charges. 

Yeah I'm aware of those. The charge goes on at midnight and is 27p when the gas was off and only electric was being used. I've not checked what it is when the gas got turned back on but when I used to come in from work at 7am when the gas was off it was 31p now that the pilot has been lit for the winter it shows 37p when I get in at 7am for the electricity and the gas pilot running. After posting the above it jumped back down from the £1.12 that I reported to 77p so I'm not sure what's up.

I'm finding the usage display thingy not acurate and I'm tempted to just switch it off.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Smiley Happy

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi Sinky I agree the IHD does display very small costs but not reliably, it is really supposed to be useful to remind you of heavy costs like fires and tumble driers. 

posted by Hooloovoo | A year ago

Check the gas meter readings to monitor your usage.  You may well have developed a slow gas leak somewhere.  Better to find it now than later when you're faced with a big bill for all the wasted gas!

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply guys. I came in from work this morning and the readings were back to what I normally expect so maybe the usage display thingy was just playing up.