Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Smart meter fitted to wrong address

posted by Clubey | 3 months ago
I’m having a total nightmare! Scottish Power talked me into switching from EDF Energy almost 6 months ago. I’ve had nothing but problems since. I’ve now learnt that the smart meter has been fitted to my neighbours property; she’s with British Gas. I’ve had to cancel my direct debit but am worried that I’m going to get a huge bill when this mess is sorted out. Has anyone else had this issue as I’d like some advice
2 comments

Top answer

posted by Jonnel | 3 months ago
Re: Smart meter fitted to wrong address
@Clubey First things first - DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO CHANGE YOUR METER BEFORE THIS IS SORTED OUT.

Then, all you should have to do is provide bank details to show the payments you've made against your usage that SP will have 'lost' or recorded against someone else's account.
They should have records to show your old meter reference number and usage on that meter, so all you will need to argue with them is the payments you've made that they will say they haven't received. Your bank can prove the payments were made though.
As far as a big bill coming - probably, as you cancelled your DD, but in the long run, as your actual meter hasn't changed, you will have a continuous record and cant be charged for something you haven't used.
The trick will be in getting SP to find the money you've paid them.

But I don't fancy your neighbour's problem...
Highlighted

posted by Clubey | 3 months ago
Re: Smart meter fitted to wrong address
Thank you for that! I’ve already told them not to touch the meter. I’ve got a visit from the Community Liaison Team! I have tried to establish what the purpose of their visit is but no real reason given. I’ve assumed it’s damage control?