Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Smart meter gas readings not showing on account

posted by DaveC | A year ago

I've just switched  to Scottish Power from EDF and for some reason the gas smart meter readings aren't showing up in my online account. The in home display updates the usage for both meters fine, and the electricity readings get updated every day on the app and onlone, but the gas meter readings aren't updated and I have a box where I can type my own readings. Has anyone had this issue or any idea how to resolve it?

I've spoken to Scottish Power numerous times on online chat about this but I've been going round in circles with them. To begin with they  said it was because my old  meter wasn't compatible and I'd need a SMETS2 meter installed, but when I tried to arrnage that they said that I did actually have a SMETS2 meter and wouldn't need another one. The next time I spoke to them they said they would put a meter readings in manually and it would start to auto update after 30 days, which it didn't. I spoke to them again and they aaid the hub wasn't communicating properly and they'd arrange for it ti be upgraded, but nothing happened. I tried them yet again and they said that the meter serial numbers didn't tie up and they'd have to correct it, but then they contacted me and said that the serial numbers were actually correct. I spoke to them again today and they said that they actually are receiving gas readings from my meter but it's not showing up on my account. I asked them why but they said they didn't know and that I'd have to phone them on Monday.

18 comments
Highlighted

posted by Goldengirl039 | A year ago
Re: Smart meter gas readings not showing on account

I have exactly the same issue. I also have a message on the smart meter hub which I don't know how to get rid of. I'm calling Scottish Power tomorrow. It seems a common problem with the gas readings.   I've tried the online chat but that hasn't resolved anything!

Highlighted

Let me know how you get on - I'm going to try phoning them tomorrow too. It's odd how they keep idenntifying problems which turn out to be nothing.
Highlighted

posted by Goldengirl039 | A year ago

I spoke with a Customer Services Operator and confirmed that the gas meter number is correct on their records.  I explained about the daily readings not displaying on my account.  He confirmed that they are receiving the readings but it will take up to 4 weeks to show on the app and my online account.  I said I would call back in four weeks if no change.

Highlighted

I just phoned them up and they said that were receiving the gas meter readings OK but they didn't know why they weren't displaying in my account, They said they would refresh my account which might sort it out but if not it would get passed to their technical team to look at which could take about 5 days.

I just checked my online account and the gas reading has updated and says smart next to it, but there is still a box to enter meter readings (unlike the electricity meter which has a pre filled box you can't edit). I'll see what happens over the next week.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | A year ago
@DaveC. Sounds like they fixed the problem them. They seem to have trouble integrating the smart system into the existing account management. IT is not a strong subject for SP, large companies often have different systems running in parallel which do not interface well.
Highlighted

It's still not fixed unfortunately. The online gas meter reading updated when they refeshed my account, but hasn't updated since. The electricity reading seems to have stopped working properly now - before the current meter read and previous reading would update daily, but now the current meter reading updates, but the previous meter reading never chabges and the app has also stopped displaying the meter readings. How can it be so difficult to get working? Netflix can distribute content to servers around the world and serve largeamounts of data up to subscribers, but Scottih Power can't get a couple of numbers into a database.

They sai allow five days for their technical team to look at it so I'll try again next week.

Highlighted

Well I asked them yet again and this time they say that there is one database for incoming smart meter readings, another databse for your account, and that whenever your accoutn bills it pulls the readings from one databsse to the other. This doesn't sound right to me as my electricity meter readings were getting updated daily until they refreshed my account to try and get the gas readings to show up. I queried that and they said that the gas meter readings weren't always getting through because of some signal problem - again that doesn't make sense to me as my home display gets update with both readings throughout the the electricity meter readings used to get updated daily.

How do other peoples accounts and apps get updated - are there new readings every day or do they just update whenever your account bills?

Highlighted

posted by AdamD | A year ago
At least I'm not alone. My electricity readings were very hit and miss when viewing online but so far its showing data for every day in October (bit glitchy last month). I wish the same could be said for the gas readings, it last showed any reading on the 6th August and nothing at all since. Both meters are next to each other in the wall on the side of the house, I wish I knew how to probe it to check the signal quality between the gas and electric meter to rule out that as an issue. It does appear like is suggested above to be a system database problem as I had exactly the same feedback when I called customer services in July - they can see the readings at their end and "it should sort itself out..." evidently not.

Ad

posted by Davc | A year ago

@AdamD   Yes the feedback screens are a bit glitchy, a lot of people say that.  The app and the home Display are still giving problems but the actual meter reads and bills are on a separate circuit and seem to be working.