Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by DaveC | 11 months ago
Re: Smart meter gas readings not showing on account
@AdamD I'm not exactly sure what signal they mean. As far as I know the gas meter talks to the electricity meter, and the electricity meter talks to Scottish Power and the in home display. I get gas readings on the in home display and used to get daily electricity updates on my account which I would think meant that both data paths were working.

It's a bit frustrating that they come up with different explanations each time I call them. It seems very much like they have shoehorned the whole thing together in a rush without testing any of it.
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 11 months ago

@DaveC   You are exactly right, the electric meter does the communication to SP. The Display only works locally in your house and does not say anything reliable about your costs and bills, they are calculated by the SP system. You are also right in that the different databases do not communicate to each other very well. SP keep the accounts section ring fenced for obvious reasons.  The result is different data from the app and displays. The only truly reliable cost data is from your bills which are all online as pdf files. 

Highlighted

I think I'll give up on this for the moment as I'm just going round in circles with them. Hopefully at some point they'll be able to make it work.

Highlighted

posted by emloco | 11 months ago

Is it worth calling customer service in this or do you just get fobbed off

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 11 months ago

@emloco    The computer systems have gone wrong, you can only wait for SP to sort it out. 

Highlighted

@emloco You just go round in circles if you try and phone them. They seem helpful to start with but it soon becomes apparant that they don't have a clue what's going on. You get a different conflicting explanation each time you phone, and when they try and adjust your account to make the gas readings work they stop the electricity reading working too!

Highlighted

Well after having given up both the gas and electricity meter readings have been updating for the last couple of days. For some reason the gas reading says "Successfully retrieved from meter" in a box next to it when I look online.

Fingers crossed they will stay working.

Highlighted

posted by avonroyd | 6 months ago
i have the same for a 90year old homeowner being still asked for a gas meter reading when she has a dual account and two smart meters and one smart display
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 6 months ago

@avonroyd   There are many reasons why smart meters fail to send readings.  Do a favour and read the meter and send the readings. You have to press buttons on the meter to get a reading.