Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meter problem

posted by jollygiantswife | 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me why it appears that my smart meter still will not sync with my account despite having been fitted in July?

I’ve been trying to monitor my usage and account balance for months but when I look at my account it says that it has ‘been unable to retrieve meter readings’.

When I try to enter them manually it won’t accept my electricity reading as it says it’s too low... I’m confused!

Thanks in advance!

24 comments

posted by graemer | 2 years ago
Re: Smart meter problem

Hi there it sounds like your readings are not being picked up remotely via the the mobile phone network. The reason you cannot enter readings manually is because you have a smart meter. I would call the smart meter number with Scottish Power and ask if there is a problem picking up your meter readings otherwise you are going to get estimated bills. Do you live in a very weak signal area?

I’ve no idea... there was no suggestion that the signal would be weak... I called Scottish Power a few weeks ago about it and was just told that it should settle down. I guess I’ll call them again! Thanks for your help!

posted by mikehobbs | 2 years ago

i have been having problems with my smart meters since may and i am unable to get it resolved i have made a lot of complaints but never get anywhere 

Highlighted

posted by Peedoff | 2 years ago
I had my Not-So-Smart-Meter installed since last August. My on-line account won't synchronise either. Funnily, my account states "No meter readings received for 70 days" and shows my account as over £700 in credit. Today I received correspondence from Scottish Power, asking if I'd like a Smart Meter installing....???? My IHD shows my consumption for gas and electricity - so it's communicating via wifi - but it doesn't show my tariff. Is anybody else "enjoying" the same "benefits" of Smart Meter Technology as me?

posted by rextheking86 | 2 years ago

Ive had smart meter in for a while but only reads my electricity, no idea when gas will be done also sick of getting estimated readings aswell 

posted by  Eilidh | 2 years ago
Hi @rextheking86, Can I just check, was the installer unable to fit your gas smart meter when your electric smart meter was fitted? Or were both meters fitted at the time of installation?

posted by rextheking86 | 2 years ago

Yeah the engineer couldn't fit the gas meter for us but I've been waiting ages and the fact I keep getting estimated bills doesn't help either 

posted by  Eilidh | 2 years ago

@rextheking86 I'm sorry to hear you only had a partial smart meter installation. There can be a few reasons for why your gas meter wasn’t exchanged and information relating to this will be available from our appointed Smart Meter installer. Based upon your geographical area, this is AMEY who can be contacted on freephone 0800 247 1190. In the meantime, your gas consumption/statements may still be estimated. You can update your own meter readings by logging into your online account and choosing the “Enter Meter Readings” option from your online account dashboard.

Sounds like it’s not just me with the problem then! The most frustrating thing is not being able to provide meter readings now as the online  system doesn’t recognise they are smart meter readings... I will have to call them when I get time...