Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 2 months ago
Re: Smart meter reads waiting for current data

@Mattrose   It is very common and caused by upgrades being sent to your meters to bring them in line with new national standards.  There is nothing you can do, only be patient and wait for the display to start working again. 

Highlighted

posted by juliemurnane | 2 months ago
mine still not working, its got to be for at least 3onths now. Not sure if it is sending data as data is only going up until april on my account.
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 2 months ago

@juliemurnane   Better send in readings to be on the safe side.

Highlighted

posted by DavidAB | A month ago
The top answer is not much use. I thought I was the only one having this trouble.
I have reset the screen, turned it off for 40 minutes and 24 hours on different occasions. It has been sat both on my desk and next to the meters flashing "waiting for current data" with no success for over a month now.
Can someone provide an answer to the problem, or is the radio system not fit for purpose and failed on so many terminals across the country.

Highlighted

posted by Bobby | A month ago

ScottishPower uses the newer Aclara SGM1412-B electricity meter which is already SMETS2.

However, last year when the old SMETS1 electricity meters were upgraded to SMETS2 compatible (so you could move bill suppliers without changing meter) it bricked the remote electricity meter reading and electricity usage to IHD functions on the newer meters.

This is probably not wholly SP's fault, as the data network is run by a separate company (Capita/Smart DCC) they 'talk' over a mobile phone network to the cellular modem attached to the top of your electricity meter. The upgrade came over the data network.

The cellular modem (the communications hub attached to the top of your electricity meter)  then uses wireless ZigBee HAN to 'talk' to your gas meter, your in house display (IHD) and possibly your electricity meter (but it also has wired data connection).

I suspect each bricked electricity meter will need a physical visit by an engineer to restore the communications with its cellular modem/communications hub. This is expensive, hence the ostrich behaviour.

Highlighted

Sorry posted previous comment to wrong topic.

My IHD will show me the gas meter data for about 20 minutes, then loses connection. The IHD is about 3 metres away from my electricity and gas meters, but through kitchen window and plastic meter boxes. HAN is supposed to be 15 metres range.

Sometimes it reconnects if I briefly press the button on the back, but often it does not. If I hold pressed in, the button on the back, the IHD turns off, then I can briefly press the button to turn it on while the unit is held close the the meter box, and it will retrieve the gas meter data, and I can return the IHD to the kitchen, only to lose the connection ~20 minutes later.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | A month ago

@Bobby   Thanks for the good explanation about smart meter upgrades.  As you say it is not only SP's problem, but the upgrades from DCC have to handle so many different types of meter that it often stops  meters from functioning.  So manual meter readings are needed, but very few intallers ever tell customers how to take a manual meter reading.  It is a mess quite honestly.  DCC say 4.5m smets2 meters are installed now, and only 0.5m (out of 15m I think) smets1 meters have been switched to the DCC system.   So this forum is full of questions about which buttons to press to get readings from their smart meters.  Huh.

Highlighted

@Davc  The ABC of Remote Firmware Upgrade, would be to test the upgrade on an offline network with an example of each device, so you do not brick custmer's meters in the field, where it is hugely costly to fix.

For example, a well known clothes retailer in their data centre building, had duplicate test data centre, store-wide data network, and in store computer equipement This was to test software upgrades before inflicting them on the live stores. If their store ordering system broke, not only would there be huge cost in lost sales, but also goodwill of the customers. Manual ordering was possible, but took a long time and was error prone. When the ordering system hardware did break. field engineers would be rushed out with replacement hardware.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | A month ago

@Bobby   Absolutely right, no excuses the smart roll out has been badly handled. I don't know if SP are very much worse than others, they do seem to be very weak on the performance of their app and website. 
We now have dozens of brands and models of meter, operated by hundreds of supply companies, and when things go wrong it is very difficult for customers to take manual readings.  Nevertheless meter reader jobs have been slashed and the amount of estimated bills must be at an all time high. No wonder customers complain about high bills.     The whole programme needs 50m meters to be installed, only about 20m so far and most of those smets1 which need reprogramming.   It is a nightmare. 

Highlighted

posted by PaulWilson1435 | 4 weeks ago

@Davc wrote:

@Mattrose   It is very common and caused by upgrades being sent to your meters to bring them in line with new national standards.  There is nothing you can do, only be patient and wait for the display to start working again. 

this is my reading for my gas meter 0113746m3