Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meter showing big usage at night

posted by rachelmcc | 3 weeks ago
We has the smart meter installed on Monday. I don't see any reasons in my Scottish Power app, but I'm assuming it might take a while to get going? Please correct me if I should be more worried about that.

We have (had?) an economy 7 electric box. During the day I work from home, but our electric use Seems to be low- for example right now it's only using 75W. I charge the laptop but that’s it. Yesterday between 9am and 12noon the cost only went up by 3p.

But when we wake up in the morning, the meter says we've gone way over our budget. It’s displaying £2.74 just now, and was similar at 9am yesterday (£2.90). I know a standing charge gets added, but I thought it was more like 50p? It says we've used 6.95 kwh today. It's 9am?! Is there something that happens in houses at night?! Our heating isn't on. Could it be the water heater or something? I thought that the electric was cheaper at night.

I’m going to keep an eye on it today but I don’t expect to see it go up much on the day-like I have said it did 3p in 3 hours yesterday. I’m just wondering what’s happening at night that I’m not aware of that could cause this?

11 comments

Re: Smart meter showing big usage at night
Nah something’s super weird here. I just checked the timing on the water heater. 12-3am. But my other half was up at that time, and the usage wasn’t wild then. https://imgur.com/a/BNXmy7U What has happened between 3am and 9am to add £2, when the water heater stops at 3am?!

posted by DavC1 | 3 weeks ago

@rachelmcc    Your display device gets its data from the smart meters,  it is not your bill, only a rough guide to what you use. With E7 systems the reporting can be confused and delayed,  your night usage is almost certainly the water heater.   Don't worry looking for details from the IHD device, they often go wrong and yours will probably lose contact soon and say Waiting for data.  That is quite normal.  You can turn off the IHD if it bothers you, it takes no part in sending readings to SP.     Usually the IHD will tell you when heating devices are turned on, but we all know when that happens and you can switch off the fire/kettle/drier/washing machine or whatever is using power. 

Yeah it usually turns orange when the kettle is on. Weird it didn't turn a colour when the water heater was on lasy night?

So the wee box can be delayed? What's the point? I'm.also very curious that it's set up to send a meter reading every half hour yet no data is showing on my scottish power app. Why did they install this again?

@rachelmcc    The app will start working soon.   The point of smart meters is to send readings to SP every half hour.  This enables the cost of units to be increased or reduced at different times of the day.  This feature has only been turned on by a few suppliers, SP are quite poor at computer technology.  In the future we will all get used to expensive power at 5pm, but cheap power at night and weekends.  It is government's idea to even out the peaks in demand and take full advantage of wind power.    A side benefit of smart meters is to give you a hand held IHD to warn you when you are using a lot of units,  the actual costs displayed are often wrong and your bill is worked out at head office and has nothing to do with what the IHD says. 

So it will take a little time before it takes the meter readings every half hour?
It would be useful if their app told me things like that rather than giving me an oops page 🥲

@rachelmcc   Not exactly, your meters are most probably sending their readings but the app which reports on them  has not yet been set up for your account.    Recently the app was withdrawn from service because it was displaying wrong data for some accounts.  I suppose SP are working on the upgrade.   You could check that SP are getting your smart readings by asking customer services if they can see the readings on their screens. 

@rachelmcc   By the way when the app starts working again, it will not update half hourly, usually it refreshes overnight and changes once a day so it gives an overview of energy not real-time monitoring. 

My day time rate is 5p/kWh and my night rate is 32p/kWh. I think Scottish power messed that one up 🥲 that can’t be helping. I’ll have to phone someone when the lines open.

Top answer

@rachelmcc    Probably your IHD has been set up with the tariff values reversed, it's doubtful SP would sell anyone daytime electricity at 5p when the typical cost is 30p.   Again, your IHD is not your bill and they often have wrong tariffs programmed into them.