Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meter

posted by Jen16014 | 7 months ago
So i had my smart meter fitted yesterday. Which i think is wicked. I like seeing whats being used hehe. But i am concerned by the fact it says i have used gas when i haven't. Its only 10p and 0.61kWh . But is this like a standing charge or is my boiler just doing what it wants .
12 comments

posted by Davc | 7 months ago
Re: Smart meter

The displays are normally accurate for kWh but can give wrong £ values. Maybe the very small kWh of your boiler was a hot tap for a few moments, or even its pilot light if it has one.  

It must be pilot light as i didnt run any hot water yesterday and same today i havent and its at 11p.

That is a lot for one pilot light, have you got pilot lights on a fire and gas cooker as well?
The Display costs can be misleading but the kWh are usually accurate.
There is also a gas standing charge usually about 25 p a day.

@Jen16014   On your first post you said gas was 0.61kwh and 10p. Gas costs about 4p/kwh so 0.61kwh should be no more than 2.5p. It just shows the Display has rubbish costs but correct kwh .

I have a combi boiler so no pilot light . So unsure why it would still use the gas haha

Haha no other gassy things? Fire, Cooker? Then maybe combi boilers do turn on by themselves for a few kWh. How are the readings now after a few more days?

Well every morning i wake up and use at least 10p worth of gas haha. And no i only have the boiler thats gas

posted by whiteowl | 7 months ago

Does your boiler fire up during the night to keep the  pre heat ready for your hot water.

Highlighted

Top answer

What a good idea Whiteowl, I wish I had thought of that.  Jen, there is an Eco button on Bosch boilers to prevent this pre warming. Also Jen, forget the 10pence, it is a bad calculation, the kwh shows it is only using about 2pence a day.