Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart meters tripping off

posted by wattaman | 2 months ago

Hi,

Two weeks ago I had the smart meters installed. Since then the meters keep tripping off, at least once per day (the wall socket fuse/switch triggers). I fear that sooner or later this will damage my appliances.  So I've emailed Scottish Power and their reply was dissapointing "In regards to the meter tripping I would like to inform that this may be a issue with your internal usage hence you may contact your local supplier to assist you further." (with they being the local supplier). I've also opened a complaint after this, hopefully they'll be more responsive about it.

I must say that this never happened with the normal (card) meters before, not even once, so it shouldn't be anythjing wrong with the wiring/appliances in my home. However, I've disconnected everything except the frindge, freezer and internet router to ease the load on the sockets, and even switched off the unused sockets but it still happened. I know now that I've made a mistake switching to these (not so) smart meters and I'm thinking to go back to my old ones, if possible.

Questions:

1. Anyone else had issues like this, where you were unable to find any faults by yourself and did Scottish Power solved them?

2. Can I have my old meters installed, hopefully at no cost by the Scottish Power?

3. Any ideas to fix this in general, is there something I have missed?

Thank you.

4 comments

posted by DavC1 | 2 months ago
Re: Smart meters tripping off

@wattaman   An electrician could have a quick look at your meter installation to see if he can see loose wires. Really SP should send an installer back because there seems to be a fault with the installation.   Some of SP's installers do a hurried and poor job, it would help if you know the company and the installers name. 

Coincidentally, an SP electrician just came to check on the newly installed meters. Unfortunately he couldn't find the issue, or better say he found possible causes. And for these causes to be investigated and eventually fixed (if they are causing the problem) I need another electrician that I will have to pay myself.
SP's possible causes are: earthing cable not connected to their earth box (instead mine seems to go outside the house, straight in the ground) and/or faulty RCDs. He could answer my question about getting my old meters back. Is this possible?

TYPO: He couldn't answer my question about getting my old meters back. Is this possible?

posted by DavC1 | 2 months ago

@wattaman   I don't think you can get your old meters back, they would get recycled as waste. The most likely answer to your problem is a bad earth connection, the earth should be attached to a metal structure like a pipe that goes into the ground.  Any electrician could check for the quality of your earthing system and could provide you with a solution to any problem.  Good luck