Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar panels

posted by martinshaw19 | 2 years ago
Hi, I moved into my new house a year ago which has solar panels, a friend has asked how much do I get on my feed in tarriff. I had no idea! Was I supposed to tell Scottish Power I have them? I can’t find anything online thanks
9 comments

Top answer

posted by Davc | 2 years ago
Re: Solar panels

@martinshaw19   There is a lot about this on the internet. Feed in tariff for new installations ended in March 2019, but if the units were installed and registered before, the FIT continues to be paid.  Probably the person who installed the panels is still being paid even though you own the property.  It is worthwhile you investigating with the previous owner.  I'm not sure what happens and if you can transfer a FIT account,

There is a new scheme now which requires smart meters, and it registers output to the grid and gives you credits, It is called the Smart Export Guarantee.   

posted by martinshaw19 | 2 years ago
Thanks for the reply. It is a new build I’m in so no previous owners, will I still get the FIT if I never registered them? Sorry I’m clueless about this!

@martinshaw19   Sorry, after March 2019 there is no more FIT for new applicants.  You have to get smart meters and apply for the new scheme. It is not as generous as FIT. 

posted by Gwenllian | 2 years ago

Mine is  a new build as well.  I moved in Feb 2018 and our panels has been registered bus as we had problems with SP about various issues for over 2 year is it too late for me as well?  Our smart meter still doens'

@Gwenllian  The cut-off date for FIT registration was 31/3/19.  If youare registered you should have correspondence about it with reference numbers.  If you missed it the next possibility is the Smart Export Guarantee with a Smets 2 smart meter.

posted by scott1 | A week ago
inview of the price of power why cant SP give solar panels to the private sector, ( and I only say private as local council already has a free service) this would help reduce bills and also feed back into the grid that SP can help supply to the more needed , and it would be a rare thing to read a post from the management of SP with positive feedback

posted by DavC1 | A week ago

@scott1 Interesting idea, I suppose if SP paid for the panels they would want to keep part of the electricity for themselves.  SP are not good at IT and the new variable tariffs, another provider like EDF or Octopus could make it work, but not SP. Their contractors are hopeless and would make a terrible mess of the installations.

posted by scott1 | A week ago
I thinknit only fair that the ecces power should be fed back into the grid, panel's are not as expensive as they were and for a major power provider they would get a massive discount, not only that you'd be employing staff to deal with this and creating employment, so while we debate again I ask why is SP not getting involved?? let see what they have to say and give feed back, stop sitting on the fence SP

posted by DavC1 | A week ago

@scott1   SP don't read this forum, and SP retail energy makes a loss, although the wind farms which are separate make a profit.   SP retail don't have the resources to launch a huge solar panel building programme, they are struggling to survive as a retail organisation,  remember SSE sold all their retail business last year and SSE was very similar to SP.     Your idea is a good one and should be aimed at government level.  However, many householders prefer to buy their own panels and keep all the benefits for themselves.  Otherwise you are just renting out your roof space for no personal benefit.