Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Storage heaters/Comfort Plus White Meter Tariff

posted by maltaguy | 3 years ago

My house has storage heaters and my meter has 3 meter readings its called "Comfort Plus White Meter." The 3 meter/tariffs has a Day Rate , Night Rate and what is called a "Control Rate for my storage heaters and hot water this is the cheapest of the 3 rates. There is also a boost for hot water if required but on the day rate.

As my storage heaters are 30 years old I was thinking about changing them to more efficent ones however can you tell me if my current Comfort Plus White Meter tariff with 3 meter readings is suitable for new storage heaters as its basically an off peak system or do I need to change to Economy 7

5 comments
Highlighted

posted by springjoy | 2 years ago
Re: Storage heaters/Comfort Plus White Meter Tariff

Be very careful regarding your change of storage heaters.  I am also on the Scottish Power Comfort Plus tariff with Weathercall through no choice of my own.  I moved to a flat with old storage heaters and replaced them with Dimplex Quantum (cost me a fortune).  My flat has been cold for most of the winter and when I contacted Dimplex Customer Service they advised that this was due to the tariff being incompatable (i.e. the Weathercall option controlling the circuit) as Quantum heaters need continuous 7 hours charge overnight to operate efficiently and the Weathercall option never provides this.  I asked Scottish Power to remove the Weathercall "option" from my tariff, which they refused to do.  I am now dreading another winter in a cold flat with fuel bills going through the roof (as the heaters need to be charged at 25 degrees to provide any decent level of heat;  they cannot operate intelligently to calculate my  requirements due to Weathercall fully controlling the circuit). 

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 2 years ago

Hi Springjoy, SP should be able to find a suitable tariff for you that gives overnight charging, or is it that the actual circuit needs to be changed by an electrician? Anyway I think if you persist you should be able to go onto something like an Economy 7 tariff or similar.

Highlighted

Hi Dave, thanks for your response.  I have tried everything,  including requesting a change of meter to Economy 7 which Scottish Power, again, refused to do.  There is nothing wrong with the circuit, just Scottish Power's Weathercall controlling the timings and amounts of electricity to the circuit.  I have even put it in the hands of an MP and got no further.  I have only one choice of alternative supplier due to the complex nature of the metering arrangements.  I may not be able to change my meter or have the Weathercall option removed but at least Our Power's tariff for complex meters is cheaper and I am no longer being held hostage by Scottish Power.  It's just a pity that so few Scottish Power staff know anything about complex metering arrangements as it has been such a frustrating  experience for me with no positive outcome.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 2 years ago

Hi again Springjoy, Apparently SP are only putting in Smart meters now and Economy 7 is not yet compatible, so no new customers. I think I am right saying this, some people have commented in this forum, although it does seem hard to beleive that a popular system is no longer offered, but existing Economy 7 customers can continue as long as they want to. Glad you got a good contract with another supplier.

Highlighted

I live in hope that A Smart Meter will be available to customers in the same sutuation as myself soon.  I'm going to hold off using my Dimplex Quantum heaters for as long as possible thus year.  I wish I had just installed clay core heaters instead as I would have had full control but, unfortunately, I am out of pocket now for a system I have no control over.  Had the metering arrangements and the restrictions been explained to me I would never had bought a flat with electric heating.  I cannot believe that Scottish Power have been so difficult to deal with.  All I was asking for was the switching off of the Weathercall  option at the teleswitch after I hit a brick wall asking them to change my meter to Economy 7.  I read somewhere that EON is removing complex meters like mine and replacing them with Economy 7, so I'm not sure why Scottish Power is so behind the times.  I think customers with complex meters should be made aware of the situation before embarking on the purchase of Dimplex Quantum heaters as they may be disappointed when the results and cost savings are not as good as they were led to expect.