Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

posted by Paddy00 | 6 months ago
Re: Super High Energy Bill
Hey DavC1

So as you may remember, my usage was 8 kwh per day on the old meter, and im 25-35 per day since the smart meter went in,

I managed to use only 1 unit yesterday, i turned my boiler off at the wall.. today im plugging nothing in and setting my boiler to 17,

I have read a few blogs about people having second homes and leaving the pilot light on only, and still getting big bills..
i do think my smart meter and combi boiler are clashing or something, unless 20kwh per day is what a pilot light should use πŸ˜‚,
Ill continue to test.
Paddy

posted by DavC1 | 6 months ago

@Paddy00   Hey Paddy.  You have gas. A use of 25kWh a day of gas is perfectly normal even though it is extremely high for electricity.   Is there some muddle of your gas readings and your electricity readings?  Don't use the IHD,  go to your electric meter and your gas meter and take the separate readings.  FYI electric readings are always in kWh, gas readings are in cubic metres (m3) and 1 m3  is equivalent to about 11.25 kWh.  SP take your m3 reading and translate it to kWh in order to work out your bills.  Gas readings are always given in m3 and they are billed as kWh, confusing,  but it is a legacy of our Victorian past.  All energy suppliers use m3 for meter readings of gas, it is a UK standard.

No Sir,
Im talking electric here,
My gas is fine, i got a gas smart meter at the same time as my electric one, but the display never worked so i cant even get a reading, but my gas bill is reasonable so im just ignoring that.

For a few days ive been trying to reduce my electric usage with basically no luck, until i turned my boiler off at the mains, and only i used 1 unit in 24 hours! Ha.
Ive set my boiler to 17Β° and turned it back on, made no other changes, so ill check it again tomorrow,

Maybe my boiler and smart meter just dont get along, i dont know.. a lot of people are complaining about this

SP just tried to close my complaint down, they did offer me a check meter after a heated discussion, but i dont think a check meter will catch this issue, (although i have no idea how check meters work)
im guessing.. my old meter knew when my boiler didnt need power, but my new meter doesnt, but i could just be making that up, as i know nothing about boilers πŸ˜‚

Im just lucky i have pretty detailed notes of my usage prior to the smart meter going it, and i refuse to believe im actually using Β£240 of electric per month!!

Thanks
Paddy

Hi Paddy, a check meter is a good idea. Gas meters need their button to be pressed to show a reading, and boilers take almost no electricity but burn a heck of a lot of gas to give hot water and hot radiators. Something very weird is going on with your electric meter, having the boiler on should make no difference.

Ill just keep monitoring it for now,
The only thing i changed yesterday was i left my boiler off all day and its the first time ive been able to get under 20 units in a day since the smart meter went in..
I have unplugged basically everything,
Ive been through the complaints process at SP, so next i need to send my info off to the Onbudsman, cause SP just dont care.

I honestly think a lot of people are having the same issue as me, but because i know exactly what my usage was before the smart meter went in, im able to pin it down.

Im going to cancel my DD too, becuase they just lie to me, said my next DD would be Β£150 but took Β£280 on the 5th of Jan! Its cool thou i only have to live another 2 weeks with no money πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Paddy

@DavC1

So i found this

https://www.smart-energy.com/regional-news/europe-uk/inaccurate-smart-meters-readings/?amp=1

And i do have halogen lights in..
Well seems when i turn my lights on my usage goes through the roof πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I managed hit 999w with just my lights on πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
This cant possibly be my fault πŸ˜‚ as the old meter didnt have an issue with my bulbs, what do you think dav πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Its not letting me upload pics from my phone. but my usage was at 132w then i turned my lights on and boom 997w πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Time to change all my light bulbs πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

@Paddy00   Wow Paddy I have never heard of this.  What brand of smart meter did they install for you, we can warn other people.   Simple solution, fit LED bulbs not halogen and don't use dimmer switches. Plus get a refund from SP. 

I have emailed them this morning, explaining, if i turn my lights off at the fuse box, my usage drops from 25-30kwh to 3!!!!

added some pictures, will keep you posted.

lights on .JPGUsage with lights off.JPGmeter.JPG

Thanks

Paddy

@Paddy00   That is really useful, An EDMI meter. The top part is the data modem made in Romania, and the bottom part is the electric meter made in Malaysia.  The whole thing is the property of Scottish Power.

Unfortunately I cannot see the serial number because the security tag is hanging over it, is it B3-10A ?? or E5-10A  it would be important to know.

Well done, I think you have cracked the problem, it's only a matter of getting SP to understand because the customer service people are not at all technical.

ES-10A
Ive sent the details to the person dealing with my official complaint, hopefully i hear something back soon, if not..
Ill take it to the onbudsman, im happy i have enough proof this isnt my fault, if i have my lights off my usage is 2-3 (probably back to 8 like my old meter when i plug in my other devices)
But ive apparently been using between 25-40 for the last 10 months πŸ˜‚