Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Many Meters

posted by CaptainBuck | 4 years ago

My setup is quite complex. Does it really need to be?

I have a conventional Day/Night meter also an Economy 7 meter (charged at a slightly lesser night rate). I also have a meter like box that reads the time signals and switches on and off the Economy 7 supply at the required times.

The first problem is that all this equipment takes up valuable real estate.

Secondly this setup is currently not compatable with smart meters, this may be because I also have solar panels.

Finaly other energy suppliers will  NOT consider me as a customer without my setup being simplified and or modernised.

So I feel as though I am  stuck in limbo.

Is there a way out of this dilema?

24 comments

Top answer

posted by  PaulJ | 4 years ago
Re: Too Many Meters

Hi @CaptainBuck, your meter set up is certainly complex, it is known as Comfort plus white meter.  This meter configuration would have been dictated by the heating and hot water system that is present within your property and comprises of 3 separate rates. Day rate, night rate and a control rate.  The third rate (control rate) on this meter is exclusively for your storage heaters.  If you still have storage heaters in the property this set up would be the most beneficial for you.  The device you mentioned next to the meter is probably an external time switch which changes the day rate to night rate depending on the time of day.  In order to review or change your current meter set-up, a Customer liaison officer would be required to visit your property.  The Customer liaison officer would determine how the solar panels in your property are operating as part of the set up to allow you to continue generating solar energy.  You are correct smart meters currently don’t support this meter type however, as the smart roll out continues your meter type (3 rates)is likely to be supported during 2018

posted by CaptainBuck | 4 years ago
Is there a number to call to get an appointment with a customer liason officer?

posted by  PaulJ | 4 years ago

Hi you can contact us via our customer service contact number of 0800 027 0072 or email via this link https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/customer-services/email.process?execution=e1s1 

posted by alimacd | 4 years ago
Hi Captain Buck , sadly I also have comfort plus heating meter and second meter for all other electricity , like you I also tried to transfer to other suppliers to obtain more beneficial rates . But no supplier will take on 2 meters as you have 2 MPAN numbers - all new systems are only set up to deal with one meter. I had a protracted battle with Scottish Power asking them to change so that I had one meter giving 2 rates they refused and told me to arrange another type of heating and said this was the only way that they would change my meter.( Previously they did change meters up to 2006) Scottish power allege that it would not be beneficial for me to change tarriffs with them !! I ended up with a close out letter advised to go to the ombudsman , I am sadly stuck with Scottish Power and to date have found NO solution , I cannot afford to install gas and live in a flat so unable to install solar panels.- If you find a solution please post .

posted by BrianJ | 3 years ago

I can confirm what has already been said, that Scottish Power refused to convert my two meters to one so that I could move supplier. I too took them to the Ombudsman as well but they could not be forced to do anything about the meters. The only solution there seems to be is to have the storage heating circuit converted by a private electrician. I am 66 years old and can honestly say that Scottish Power are the worst company I have ever dealt with. Their attitude to this problem which is of their own making is utterly appalling. The only reason I am still a customer is that the Ombudsman made them put me on a deal which to date I have not been able to better even supposing I could move. However this ends in June 2018 and if I have to pay to have an electrician to rewire my flat  so I can move to another Company, that's what I intend doing.

I did wonder if all of us with these meters complained to the Competiton & Marketing Authority that SPs attitude meant they were forcing us to stay with them was valid grounds  to accuse them of unfair competition?

posted by springjoy | 3 years ago

I'm in the process of switching supplier to a non profit company, Our Power.  I still have the same metering arrangement (3 rates) which is not ideal (Scottish Power refused to change my meter) but at least I will be paying less and am no longer being held hostage by Scottish Power.

posted by BrianJ | 3 years ago
Can they really refuse to change the meters? I am about to try them and am quite willing to pay. If they still refuse then surely that's a case for the Competition & Marketing Authority because in refusing Scottish Power are stopping competition in not allowing me to move to another supplier.

posted by springjoy | 3 years ago

They can and have refused to change my meter, despite me getting my local MP involved.  It has been an awful experience.  I moved to my flat last August.  The heating is all electric.  I replaced my storage heaters with modern Dimplex Quantum storage heaters and my flat was freezing in winter.  I contacted Dimplex and was advised that the Comfort plus tariff is not compatable with my new heaters due to Scottish Power controlling my heating circuit through their Weathercall system.  I asked if the Weathercall option could be switched off as they were refusing to change the meter but they refused to do that.  My heaters will not work intelligently as I now have to charge them at 25 degrees.  Some nights I was only getting 3 hours of stored electricity and some nights 6.  I have never had a full charge of 7 hours which is what is required for them to operate intelligently.  My winter bills were through the roof.  I am so pleased that I found another supplier to take my on with a complex meter.  Scottish Power's customer service has been appalling as none of the call centre staff understand the metering arrangement.

posted by jasmine | 3 years ago

Hi 

we are also with scottish power, and they are refusing to change our meters, same as yourself,

can i ask how you got on with our power please?