Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNABLE TO KNOW THE NIGHT TIME HOURS FOR MY AREA

posted by kakoadsa | 3 months ago

Dear Members,

I have been trying to find the night time hours for my area - Basildon, Post code SS16 - but trying to find out the correct hours are so confusing. I consulted the map, but cannot determine exactly which is my area falls into and what are the timings. I contacted the customer services at Scottish Power - an exercise of patience - after two attempts and almost an hours wait on my second attempt, I spoke to an agent who told me it is 12.00 midnight to 6.00 am. I recently had a smart meter installed and I can say for a fact that the night time does not switch on at 12.00 midnight. I feel that I have been given the wrong information by the Scottish Power customer agentand perhaps they would like to keep their customers guessing about the timing of the night rate and spend more. It would be helpful if Scottish Power automatically lets their customer know on their bills the timing in theie areas. Ideally, I would like to set some of my appliances to work at the night time rate using a timer.

May I request someone to shed some light on this and tell me what the night time hours are in my location - Basildon SS16.

Thanks in anticipation.

4 comments

posted by Davc | 3 months ago
Re: UNABLE TO KNOW THE NIGHT TIME HOURS FOR MY AREA
Hi yes it is complex. Economy 7 implies 7 hours of night rate. Most areas start between 11:30 and 12:30, to add confusion it is different in summer time. If you are careful you can see when your meter changes over and you should have 7 hours of night rate after. Smart meters and E7 have been reported to have reverted to a single rate so I hope yours was successfully installed.
Highlighted

posted by kakoadsa | 3 months ago

Thanks Davc,

I think I will have to find out the hard way by checking when the night rate commences ion my smart meter.

You are absolutely right about the meter reverting to a single rate. I had the same problem when I had the smart meter was installed. The billing was at one rate twice - the same reading was calculated as the day rate and then again as night rate! I had to call up Scottish Power to set it right and was assured that I will not have the problem again. Time will tell if what he said was true. I am keeping a hawks eye on the meter now and also the billing.

Regards.

posted by alrewas | A month ago

need to know night time hours for my area ws8 7qa

posted by Davc | A month ago

It is complicated but you are pretty safe between midnight and 7am.