Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Unable to top up on the app

posted by Yvette | 11 months ago
I had the smart meter installed and they said it would take a few days for the meter to sync with the app so I can top up for gas and electricity. That was 11days ago and it's still not synced up. I can go onto the app and all my information is on it, I just can't actually top up on it. Has this happened to anyone else? It's frustrating as I'm having to call to add emergency credit onto it.
28 comments

posted by Davc | 11 months ago
Re: Unable to top up on the app

On pay as you go I suppose you can still buy credit on a key?  Paying on an App is a new thing nobody else has reported it. 

posted by Jacqui | 11 months ago

I have the New smart meter and haven't been able to top up n that's been 2 weeks now and it still isn't working,  it's Sunday and I can't contact anyone and my supply is about to run out, can anyone help me please 

Sorry to hear that, you must wait now till Monday morning and talk to SP.

A lot of people let theircredit run low at the weekend and ask for help on this panel, sadly the only answer is to make sure you top up before the weekend.

Also read the comments above, I suppose you can still top up with a key?

posted by Yvette | 11 months ago
So I can't top up on the keys as they've changed my meter completely to install the smart meter. I've had it now for over 2 weeks I've tried contacting Scottish power several times and they haven't been helpful at all .
They are now saying that the issue is with the app but I need to top up.

Just for now focus on a new key, say My meter has been changed and I need to buy a new key for it. The should give you code numbers to quote in a shop to get a new key.

The App is a different issue which might take time to sort out but you need to put credit on the meter quickly.

(For the App try uninstalling and then reinstalling, and double check your password and email sign-in)

posted by EnigmaJay | 11 months ago
I think you're missing the point Davc, Yvette has changed to a smart meter which don't use keys, so getting a code for a new key would be useless as there's nowhere for the key to go on the smart meter. I am in exactly the same boat today as my electricity is showing as low, but when I went to top up on the app only gas is showing, and as they don't have any customer service on a Sunday, which is ridiculous in itself, then I will have to use the emergency until I can contact someone tomorrow. People don't let their meters run low at the weekend on purpose, it happens, but when it does, you expect equipment that has been endlessly promoted and then installed to actually work, it's not too much to ask!

Sorry to hear that Jay, and thanks for the news that smart PAYG has no key feature. It seems a big issue if the App is unreliable and there are no other ways of paying. Yes weekends are a bad time for PAYG and everyone on that system needs to be aware to top up enough to carry through to Monday. 

So what happens if you move to a smart meter PAYG property and do not have a smart phone?  Looking on the internet it says you can top up in a PayPoint shop if you take your smart PAYG card, or number, to the shop. You should have been given a smart PAYG card with a reference number on it, if not you can request one.

I got my information from a SSE website, the SP weblink is here, but it says no PayPoint top up facility, so apparently you cannot use a PayPoint shop

https://community.scottishpower.co.uk/t5/Smart-meters/Smart-Pay-As-You-Go-FAQs/ta-p/3922

posted by EnigmaJay | 11 months ago
No you can't, and this is where the system fails, you can only top up through the app, and if the app isn't working properly, your next port of call would be customer service, which would be great if they were open. I read I could leave it until it went below £2 then on the meter it would show that emergency is available, it doesn't do that at all, and because we weren't given any info on how to use the so called "Smart" meter then it's just going to be trial and error on my behalf, we weren't left with any card or code as you have mentioned above, so guess I'm going to have no electric until customer services opens tomorrow...yeah that's really smart, like being back in the dark ages.