Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I find tariff detais for currently available tariffs?

posted by richard_s | A year ago

I am a Scottish Power customer and want to check whether it's worth changing to a new tariff. There's a simple page "get quote" that offers me two tariffs, which is fine as far as it goes. But I would prefer to calculate costs myself, using the standing charge and price per kwh for gas and electricity. These figures seem to be difficult to find for the currently-available tariffs. In contrast, that information is readily available for old tariffs, such as the one I'm now on, for example: https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/pdf/tariffs/2017/Pricing_tables_CRUKV.pdf

Is there a place I can find the same type of information for currently available tariffs?  Thanks.

9 comments

Top answer

posted by Hooloovoo | A year ago
Re: Where can I find tariff detais for currently available tariffs?

1. Click "change your tariff".  You get the two quotes you mentioned.

2. On each quote, click "View full tariff details".  You'll see the standing charge and unit rate.

3. Click "View quote breakdown" to see exactly what is being calculated.

4. Click "or view our other tariffs" to see all the other options.

In summary, there are lots of links you haven't yet clicked on which reveal the information you require.  The current pricing tables PDF is available (somewhere) but then you have to figure out which area you're in and it all gets very complicated.  The basic "change your tariff" quotation page is simpler and already has all the information presented exactly as it applies to your property.

I agree with your approach, there's no substitute to doing the calculations yourself.  One of the big downsides with the Scottish Power comparisons is that the automatically assume when your existing tariff ends you'll go onto the expensive standard variable tariff, which makes it impossible to know if it's worth switching now or allowing your existing tariff to come to an end and then switching.  This isn't actually a fault of Scottish Power, as I understand it the quotation method is specified by OFGEM.

posted by johnfel | A year ago

@richard_s wrote:

I am a Scottish Power customer and want to check whether it's worth changing to a new tariff. There's a simple page "get quote" that offers me two tariffs, which is fine as far as it goes. But I would prefer to calculate costs myself, using the standing charge and price per kwh for gas and electricity. These figures seem to be difficult to find for the currently-available tariffs. In contrast, that information is readily available for old tariffs, such as the one I'm now on, for example: https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/pdf/tariffs/2017/Pricing_tables_CRUKV.pdf

Is there a place I can find the same type of information for currently available tariffs?  Thanks.

posted by Davc | A year ago
SP seem to have stopped publishing the tariff pricing leaflets in pdf form, maybe because they became too complex with all the choices available. So the get quote system is the best available, and if you want to check other tariffs there is an option at the end of 'get quote' to look at other tariffs.
I have tried to raise this because like you I think the standing charge and kwh rate are basic information which should be clearly published for all the available tariffs. In fact I have a feeling that it is a statutory duty to declare prices when selling a commodity, but the best we have is 'typical user' pricing. Would you buy petrol if the garage pump gave typical user costs? But these arguments fall in deaf ears and I don't suppose things are going to change.

posted by anothervictim | A year ago
Where can I get help from help and support
Highlighted

posted by DaveH | A year ago

I completely agree. It is not that complicated. On each bill you get the standing charge and the rate charges (per kwh) for the tariff you are actually on. The pdfs that SP used to publish were understandable and clear and enabled you to compare all the different tariff prices from SP. The "calculate your tariff comparison" is simplistic and makes lots of assumptions. If you click onto view tariff from this menu, as suggested above, the one thing you don't get is the tariff prices (standing charge and kw charges). What is really interesting is that the last pdf published shows electricity standing charges at approx 7.83p per day. Today, there doesn't seem to be a standing charge smaller than 22p per day. No wonder SP profits are up so much!!

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi Daveh, You are right the withdrawal of the p/kwh pdfs was a big step backwards. You can still find the data from the look up wizard, but it is more fiddly. Regarding standing charges SP have two or three different deals each month, the ones with high standing charge have a low kwh rate and are supposed to be for high users. Likewise the low standing charge deals have a high kwh rate and are for low users. They call these Fixed Price, Fixed Saver and Fix and Save. If I was in charge I would call them Fix for High users and Fix for Low users, I can never remember which is which but the Fixed Saver is usually the cheapest. These very similar tariff names are silly, they do not tell you what they do,  and should never have been invented.  Note to SP, How about rebranding the tariffs?

posted by TJS | 5 months ago

I liked the pdf. The information seems to now be available using the Tariff Information Lookup Label page. No idea where the link is to that, I found it via a google search.

https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/tariff-information.process?execution=e9s1

posted by Burg81Head | 4 weeks ago

I have changed to a new tariff and was advised that details would be sent.  Nothing received.  Will they be posted to me and when??  My A/c No is 8345 5337 021

posted by Davc | 4 weeks ago

@Burg81Head   Hi, your online internet account should tell you the tariff details. All your bills will also show the terms and tariff name. I don’t know if you will get a letter, maybe, maybe not. There is a lot more information on your internet account, it is much more detailed than the app.