Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are only four of my five digit meter reading showing on my account?

posted by CharlieStocks | 2 months ago

I usually read the electric meter and enter the two 5-digit meter readings online, one day reading, one night reading. Today I went to enter my readings and only four digits were showing on my account from a previous reading. If I enter the 5-digit numbers now, I will receive an enormous bill because it will look like I've used a huge amount of energy. I rang and spoke to Connor who couldn't give me an answer. He has taken my meter readings but again only four digits are showing. I'm worried that some time down the line, I will receive a mega bill because I haven't been entering the readings properly. Please help.

9 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | 2 months ago
Re: Why are only four of my five digit meter reading showing on my account?

@CharlieStocks   Can you tell us your 5 digit reading and the 4 numbers on your account that customer service put in?

Readings: 35607 and 28791. Account shows 3560 and 2879. You can see why I'm worried!

posted by Davc | 2 months ago

@CharlieStocks   Yes the numbers on your account are too small now and your bill should  show a massive refund. You need to talk it over with customer service and say you need 5 spaces to input readings. Maybe the SP system adds a zero to the right hand end? Or maybe the full numbers are there but just hidden from you? Either way it needs to be sorted out. 

I suppose you are not including numbers from the meter after the decimal point?  Those digits should always be ignored.   Meter readings are just numbers of kWh used, so on a five digit input a reading of 123 is entered as 00123.  

Davc, the digits are digital. No decimal point. They've always been five and I've always entered five. My account is not in credit. The guy I spoke to yesterday said I am in debit. There are 8 spaces to put numbers. The reading on my account shows like this 00003560. Yes I will speak to SP. Thank you for your help.

posted by DaveC | A month ago

Mine is doing somethinh similar, the app says 000000788, the in home display says 788 but my online accoint says 00000078

posted by CharlieStocks | A month ago

I received a reply from Scottish Power via email (this was an online chat that I started). They have closed my account and opened a new one! As I am unable to view the new account online I am unable to see if the problem has resolved. 

posted by Davc | A month ago

@CharlieStocks   Wow that is uncalled for, to create a new account. I think the numbers missing from the meter reading is just caused by a badly designed computer output when too many digits push the final number aside. No doubt the actual reading is correct but just not displayed correctly on your account. Others are reporting this also. Will they all get a new account? It seems not to be the solution. 

posted by CharlieStocks | A month ago

@Davc  It looks like I’m no longer a SP customer as I have no open accounts showing! I will now have to make another telephone call to SP. I’m tired of all this :-(

posted by Davc | A month ago

@CharlieStocks   So I suppose your new account has new login details, not surprising it does not show up when you login to your old account.  Ask SP how to access your new account and then check its details carefully, anything could have happened.