Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by gazza7251 | A year ago
Re: Why use Data Services?

Just to confirm that MDS have been requested by Scottish Power to read your meter and do not wander round reading random meters.Usually the meters they are reading are in the same area and postcode so they have a density of meters to read in the same area.Every Meter Reader should be showing a picture ID usually on a lanyard on a neck chord.It is not possible to read everyone meter at a pre arranged time because it would be impossible to visit them all and need an army of Meter Readers.

Normally they leave a card to say when they will be returning and give you the opportunity to leave your reading in the window if you are out or uncomfortable letting them into your house.

As stated this is a statutory requirement that your meters need to be read on a regular basis and is used to check your submitted readings.If they corresspond they may not produce a further bill  which may confuse people.

The majority of people are quite happy to provide their readings to update their bills.

There are also a minority of awkward customers who object to having their meters read but this only leads to the suspicion that they are trying to hide something.

posted by Jonnel | A year ago
Just to confirm - there is a minority of posters that no matter how many times they're told, refuse to accept that this thread isn't about meter readers reading meters but about people knowing who they're letting into their homes, or knowing who is asking them for their data via letters and cards shoved through the letterbox.

Once again, for old times' sake, once you KNOW who you're letting in you should be fine, just make sure the person you're letting in IS who they say they are.

One would have thought a responsible firm would let you know who was doing their work for them before they turned up to do the work... heck, even amazon tell me who's delivering my parcels... how else is someone supposed to know?

I've been thinking and I can't come up with a single company who've done work in or on my home that I didn't know the name of before they did the work. I wonder why MDS believe they should be different.

posted by Davc | A year ago

@Jonnel I understand your caution but nobody is saying let anyone into your home. MDS is a large high profile company with uniform wearing staff and by now shold be completely accepted by everyone. In our area we often have reports of men calling pensioners in pairs claiming to be in authority. One pretends to inspect while the other goes quietly upsstairs and robs the pensioner. We should all be very wary of that, but it is totally over reacting to insist on seeing Morrison's ID when there is a Morrisons van parked outside. No intruder would bother to steal a Morrisons van and uniform in order to gain entry.

I agree SP could have defused the whole suspician by putting Morrison on the website

@Davc Did you ever see "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" ? Remember the bit where the peasants wanted to burn the witch and Galahad tells them if the girl weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood, therefore she's a witch? It's the same thing here - you're supporting a syllogistic fallacy. MDS want entry to your home, but only SOME of the class of people who want entry to your home are MDS.

It's not as simple as having to steal a van either. I originally heard about MDS from a letter asking me to make an account on their website and submitting personal details... And I'd never heard of them before. No van.... or tee shirt.... involved.

Sometimes people have to demand standards or they just get rolled over.

@Jonnel   Haha I like the false syllogism claim, but you attribute it wrongly to me. I do not welcome just any caller into the house, and neither should anyone. 

What I find strange with MDS is that they want people to register on their web and send readings to them, there is no need for this approach if you send in readings to SP regularly. However I guess the problem is that very few SP accounts ever have meter readings sent by customers, and MDS have been told to collect as many readings as possible.

@Davc I didn't say you 'commited' the syllogistic fallacy, I said you're supporting it, in that you're suggesting it's okay for people who've never heard of MDS to allow them entry because there's a van outside with the same name on it as on their tee shirt. The option is available to you because you know who MDS are, but it's outside of other people's knowledge base.

Here's a suggestion for you to chew on:- You tell me your home address, and within the next 12 months I'll come to your home purporting to be a representative of another firm you have also heard of. By your admission above, you should happily let me in, even if I don't have an ID badge. Would that make it right?

Would you be alarmed if/when I said, "Hi, Davc, it's me, and you've just been robbed." ?

@Davc I take it (rightly or wrongly) from the lack of answer that there's no way on Earth you're going to give me your address so I can call on you and make you feel uncomfortable. And quite rightly so - you shouldn't ever give away personal details like that, least of all on a public forum - it's what the 'report inappropriate content' button is for.

But MDS ask people to.

So now you take those emotions you're feeling right now and imagine you get a call in the next 2 months from a company you've never heard of. How likely are you to let THEM in?

Getting it now?

@ScottishPower @MDS To misquote Morpheus... (yes, I know I watch too many movies)... "Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of timing..."

Had a power cut this morning. I phoned 105 to call it in. The very nice lady on the line told me no one else from my postcode had rung in to report it, so it might be my domestic installation at fault, or it could be a local sub-station. She'd task an engineer to call on me, she said, but if she got any more outage reports from the same postcode, would re-direct the engineer to the sub-station instead as it would then almost cetainly be a distribution fault, and not my wiring.

"But just in case he gets to you before that..." ...she said without any prompting from me... "...it'll be a Western Power Distribution engineer."

So if the 105 call centre can say who's coming to peoples' houses, why can't you two?

@Jonnel   Who are 'you two' ? I keep thinking you mean me, and I certainly do not suggest letting just anyone into my house, so who did you refer to?  

@Davc I was under the impression everyone knew the convention is for forum posters use the '@' symbol to denote who their messages are aimed at, meaning the '...you two...' in mine are Scottish Power and MDS.

I thought you knew that, seeing as you use the '@' too.