Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by walkebb | A year ago
Re: Why use Data Services?

What puzzles me is the fact that customers have not been advised about this outsourcing (at a time of sensitivity about sharing data with others) and that the outsourcing company is not in fact reading the meters - just asking SP customers to send them the readings (which could be done direct to SP as I have done on behalf of my elderly mother).  

Unless Data Services are a subsidiary of SP they will no doubt be paying for something which they could just as easily do themselves.  Communicate with customers if you need a reading - put the message on their bill in huge bold print at the top of the statement.  METER READINGS REQUIRED.

Presumably SP don't monitor the forum?

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi walkebb, Morrison have not contacted me but I notice their vans and cars a lot. A quick check shows they are a large company working for all the utilities   Www.morrisonds.com 

If they have so many clients I presume they know how to protect personal information. The strange thing is that SP have not said anything and they are retaining their own meter reading service as well. I will continue to send readings direct to SP. 

posted by eeleach | A year ago

I have now opened a complaint about SP sharing my data with this third party without my consent and asked to have my data removed from their (Morrisons Data Services') records. I would encourage others to do the same. My contract is with SP as the supplier and I only wish to inform them of my usage, not a third party. I am angry that they 1) shared my data without my consent; 2) did not inform me that they had done so (this led to me viewing the unsolicited contact as suspicious and worrisome. I don't understand how this can happen in the light of the new data laws about to come into force.

I am pretty sure that no one in SP monitors community forums, so I would encouage everyone else to open complaints too.

posted by Doug | A year ago
This forum is a placebo. No one from SP is interested in our thoughts or opinions.

Official complaints are they way to go, could you share details of who you contacted and the wording of your complaint please eeleach?
Highlighted

posted by Kess2 | A year ago

My mother just received a letter from Morrison demanding a gas meter reading, not long after providing one directly to SP.

I could understand if Morrison had been hired to send staff to physically check meters in order to independently verify our readings, but to simply ask customers for yet another reading seems crazy.  (Unless Morrison is passing on our readings to SP claiming they read them in person... )

posted by Julia1960 | A year ago

I recently received a text from Morrison Data services asking me to provide  my electricity meter reading by text to them on behalf of Scottish Power.  I ignored it as I am a dual fuel customer and have always provided my readings direct to Scottish Power.  I then received a letter from Morrison Data asking for my Gas Meter reading.  Again ignored.

Where in any small print did I agree for my phone number and address to be shared with Morrison Data - given GDPR is about to come into force I hope Scottish Power have everything in order.    I will never be using this service.  Scottish Power can send a meter reader once a year to my home and that is it.  

The whole idea of managing the account online by providing meter readings is to save money.  How is using a third party helping this.....  

posted by walkebb | A year ago

I too had checked online that Morrison Data Services were apparently a genuine utilities reading business as I had never heard of them before.   I have since noticed some of their vans around.  

The point is SP should have informed customers that they were to be subcontracted to read/obtain the meter readings.   I would be highly suspicious of someone randomly turning up requesting access to my house to read the meter and I couldn't be classed in those more vulnerable, like my mother.   Strangely the chances of Morrison Data Services actually turning up at anyones door seem remote - why are SP paying them to just do what SP could do themselves since physical reading of the meter doesn't appear to take place?

Odd action by SP on both counts.

posted by Jodieblue | A year ago
I havent given permission to share.my data and I wont respond to the letter ive received. I always provide regular meter readings and this should be sufficient

posted by Doug | A year ago

It seems Scottish Power have many unhappy customers, yet their own forum is not monitored and is effectively useless.
There seems little point in commenting here because they really don't give a flying **bleep** about their customers.

Out of curiosity, how many of us on this thread "upgraded" to  the smart meter offered by SP a few months ago?

I'm willing to bet that no one has, hence the waste-of-money follow up by morrisons

posted by eeleach | A year ago

For complaints you should simply phone the SP number and ask straight away to register a complaint (or see the page here: https://community.scottishpower.co.uk/t5/Complaints/How-to-make-a-complaint/ta-p/37). My complaint was dealt with only by allowing me to opt out of text and postal contact (now Morrisons will have to contact me by email, which I find easier to delete and less intrusive). I made the point that they should have let customers know the identity of the third party and that initial contact should have come by SP, not the third party. They person on the phone explained that my contract obliges me to allow meter reading by SP 'or their representatives', so there's no way round this one apparently. I'm not a lawyer, so I didn't argue. But I'm not happy and will be leaving SP when my contract ends.