Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Jonnel | 2 weeks ago
Re: Why use Data Services?

@Davc - Careful Dave, your loyalties are showing :-)

Seriously though, data protection is a bigger and more serious issue than just whether your gas company tells a third party your address so they can read your meter, yet that firm DOESN'T come read it. You only have to look at the number of data breaches reported this year alone to see identity theft is on the rise, so a step as simple as minimising the number of sources of your personal details is a sensible measure to consider.

When you add to that the fact that some companies cannot - CANNOT - give valid reasons why they hold customers' data yet DO NOT USE IT for the reasons stipulated in their contract with you and you start to get the feeling maybe your data is not being collected for the reasons you think - ask Zuckerberg about Cambridge Analytica.

I think people are right to challenge big business. Naivety never kept anyone safe.

Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | 2 weeks ago

Hi Jonnel, Can't resist replying, I respect your opinions but personally I don't think I am important enough to be snooped on by Morrisons and sorry to say you are showing a bit of an over reaction.  In principle we have to take care of our security, but we have to use judgement about how important the threat is.

posted by Jonnel | 2 weeks ago
@Davc - Ah, there's the rub - it's not Morrisons people have to be worried about, like it isn't Facebook, or O2, or Equifax, or any of the other reputable firms who've lost customers' details they need to worry about. It's those who get hold of your info from THEM - with or without your knowldge - that you might be concerned about.
But hey, I don't know why I'm bothering.... if you're not going to challenge unknowns' access to your data it just decreases the chance they'll use mine. Water takes the easiest route down hill.

posted by gazza7251 | 6 days ago

I work for Morrison Data services.To answer all the conspiracy theories regarding scams and data protection.

1/We read for most of the other meter reading companies including British Gas,EDF,Utiity Warehouse as well as other smaller suppliers.

We  were originally British Gas then Accuread,G4S then from March last year Morrison Data Services.

All these utility companies send us a file of gas and electric meters they require readings for.

As a company we are required to access at least 75per cent of reads issued to us so the reason Meter Readers return for your readings.You will find on the call back card which is labelled Scottish Power the option to leave your reading in a suitable place the following day which saves people waiting in for us to call.

The Meter Readers are only paid for the reads they get reads for so  try to achieve as many reds as possible from call backs and cards

The files may have been issued before you have submitted your readings online as we have a long read window to obtain these readings.

We also  visibly check your meter for any dangerous wiring on electric meters and leaks or corrosion on your gas meter.

We also get frustrated when Scottish Power send us jobs that they have received reads for before we read them but still have to attempt to get a reading to hit our targets.

They also send out single gas or electric  jobs despite both meters being with the supplier.

We also are sent jobs for smart meters  which the customer has been told don’t need  a physical reading or the customer has changed supplier and the new supplier can’t read them.

posted by Davc | 6 days ago

Thanks, too many conspiracy theories around, MDS just a proper company doing a proper job.