Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by whiteowl | 5 months ago
Re: Why use Data Services?

I have had a meter chap every year to inspect meter and take meter readings. Usually at end of year and near my monthly readings It always near enough the same.  so they know i have been giving them the right readings through the year.  No bother at all.

posted by Jonnel | 5 months ago

@whiteowl Thing is, MDS's treatment and respect for paying customers rides on a spectrum scale. Just be happy you're up at the high end, other people find themselves down the dark side. Yet they pay for MDS too.

Well i must have been high end for a number of years because every supplier  i have been with has done this.Eg British gas, Atlantic, SSE, to name a few. 

@whiteowl Up until last year I would have replied with a hearty "Me too."
But I don't know, maybe its just me then. I seem to have this natural aversion to companies I've never heard of expecting me to give up my personal information simply because they've shoved a letter through my door asking for it. I mean, at least they could buy me a drink first.

posted by gazza7251 | 5 months ago

To the snowflakes who are not happy about MDS reading their meters why not have a smart meter fitted which will give even more info regarding usage and peak times when they can charge you more.

MDS read for British Gas,EDF,Scottish Power,Bulb,Coop energy,Utility Warehouse and some EON meters.So changing suppliers won’t stop them asking to read your meter.All these companies are happy to pay MDS to supply this service and obviously request and pay  MDS to carry out this service.

If you refuse access for them to enter your property this will be recorded on your account and this is your right.Most Meter Readers do not get upset by people who are petty about not having their meters read and smile and walk away.There are always people who are having a bad day and instead of kicking the cat take it out on the poor Meter Reader who is only doing his job.If you are one of those people who get a kick out of standing there arguing with the Meter Reader I think you will be disappointed.

Maybe i am not getting this.but what is thewrong with getting a meter reading when there is so much bother with people not keeping a eye on their usuage and bills. Then complaining  of wrong bills. I get it if you are not in when they come and they need to get a reading.  But before online accounts,  and we had to phone up, we had to have a meter reader to come to our homes. That is why there are so many estimate readings. 

It's a shame so many people can only read in other people's posts what they want to see and not what is actually being said. The posts I've read have only criticised MDS approach to people's homes, not to the poor meter readers themselves who are only doing their job. From one poster it's clear many meter readers themselves feel the same way about thier employers as the customers do, otherwise there wouldn't be such a high staff turnover. But then again, it's also clearly easier to be rude anonymously than to someone's face.

@whiteowl The issue is not and has never been about the meter readers or the asking for a reading, but the asking for a reading by a company whom the home owner has never heard of and doesn't know is their reading company. Let me put it this way... If you received a letter from Westhampton Analytics asking you which websites you regularly visited on your laptop, and to phone them up and tell them, would you ?

In over  forty year's i have never known  who the company was that employed them but knew they were sent by the suppler i was with. Did people then ask this question , i dont think so all we knew was you let them in to take a reading. And no i would not as i think that is a different matter to what i would give away in ,information.

Highlighted

posted by justcurious | 5 months ago

Hi.  I've read interesting responses since this thread started, but I'm disappointed that Scottish Power have totally ignored what we've all said.  I've just emailed them to ask what the point is of the 'Community' if Scottish Power don't respond.  It just seems as if they have this as a way to keep us out of their hair. 

Have you seen that we're members of the 'Scottish Power Community Community'?  What?!?!