Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | 5 months ago
Re: Why use Data Services?

Ah,  the Community community. If you want an answer from SP you should tell them directly, the forum is just for us to swap advice and opinions.  You could also send a message while in the Community to one of the administrators, have you found messages? they come after you log in , click Community on the top right and new options come up.

posted by Jonnel | 5 months ago

posted by whiteowl | 3 hours ago

"In over  forty year's i have never known  who the company was that employed them but knew they were sent by the suppler i was with. Did people then ask this question , i dont think so all we knew was you let them in to take a reading. And no i would not as i think that is a different matter to what i would give away in ,information."

You kind of hit the nail right on the head there, as far as my particular case goes anyway. Up until last year my meters weren't read by MDS, so I didn't know the letter was sent by the company SP engages to read the meters in this area, so how was I to know it was legit? To make matters worse, when I spoke to SP, they didn't even confirm MDS was their meter reading company, they just told me to ignore the letter. AND I had specifically asked them if it was real or a scam. What? Does SP really think a paying customer is going to react positively to that kind of arrogance? Do SP really hold such little stock in their relationship with their customers?

And as far as the Westwhatever Analytica example I gave you is concerned no, I agree, it's NOT the same. In my example, no one is gaining entry to anyone's HOME so it's minor compared to Granny allowing any old Tom, **bleep** or Harry into her cupboard under the stairs. But if personal data is now considered valuable enough to have GDPR2018 imposed on it locking things up tighter than a cat's arse, home security should be too. And it's not a case of watching too much Luther either, it's about mutual respect. Today's world is very different from the world of 40 years ago.

posted by Reen | 5 months ago
MDS unexpected visit
Very unexpected visit today by Morrison’s data services. No communication received by ScottishPower. I had not heard if MDS until today and assumed it was a scam call. Why is ScottishPower going down this road? And at what cost to the consumer?

posted by Jonnel | 5 months ago
Re: MDS unexpected visit

@Reen Some customers' lack of knowledge of MDS, how much they get paid for supposed duplication of work and clarity of their practices has been discussed at length above - you can get a feel for where you fall in the scheme of things re: reads/checks/legality, by reading the comments. As far as 'cost to the consumer' goes one can only speculate. A poster on here who says he works for them says MDS only get paid when a meter is actually read (presumably also when safety checks and Gas Act compliance reads are done too) but business sense suggests there'll be some kind of financial retainer to hard-line the contract. With smart meters becoming more common equalling less physical reading, I would suggest MDS's charges to SP are shrinking on a day-to-day basis, but how much of SP's savings are being passed on to their customers rather than their shareholders is up to the individual to decide.   

posted by Danbhoy | 4 months ago
I have been sending my readings for nearly a year now. I have received two requests from this data collection company within the last month, how much is this costing us.

posted by rdg-mikey | 4 months ago
I also received a letter from Morrison today.

Under the General Data Protection Regulations I refuse consent to share this data with this third party. I submit my readings directly to SP as do many other customers.

posted by Davc | 4 months ago
SP use MDS as a contractor. At roughly annual intervals meters need to be inspected (not read) for safety. SP do not have meter readers any more. If MDS ask to see your meter you should allow them. If MDS ask for meter readings you can ignore them if you send readings direct to SP. Data Protection is not contravened because SP have delegated work to MDS.
MDS work for all the big utility companies.

posted by Jonnel | 3 months ago

@Danbhoy That's the $64,000 question, my friend. MDS finally called round at mine to read the meters - six months late according to their Head Office timetable  - and when the readings went onto my account they were recorded as estimates.

Yes, estimates.

Does anyone connected with this firm really know what they're doing?

posted by Davc | 3 months ago

Hi Jonnel, that is a strange situation, actual readings labelled as estimates, sounds like someone did not tick the right box.  But at least you know you have a correct up to date reading even if it is badly labelled. MDS seem to have an awful public image but their job is quite ethical. I guess they are underpaid and overworked. 

Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | 3 months ago

@Davc 34 years working in Compliance taught me the end never justifies the means. Any organisation worth its salt strives to iron out inconsistency and minimise the inevitability of errata by standardisation and critical improvement, yet here are two firms that neither admit their fallibility nor seem abashed when it's shown to them.

I'm betting neither did Carillion or Interserve.