Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | 6 months ago
Re: Why use Data Services?

Hi again Jonnel, I suppose you mean the two companies MDS and SP.  MDS are not disobeying GDPR, just treating people in a curt manner and not explaining their role. SP are overwhelmed by poor IT. Both are not paying attention to detail and failing to respond to complaints. Not good but not a conspiracy to cheat, just a mess.  

posted by Jonnel | 6 months ago

@Davc Who said anything about GDPR? And I leave the Conspiracy Theories to the flat-earthers and those who believe The Royal Family are lizards from outer space.

No, it's plain old incompetence - an issue much more clearly described. Apparently much harder to accept too.

posted by SAHarts | 6 months ago
I also cannot understand why we need this middle man. I agree with many of the comments on this matter that have been made.

posted by Davc | 6 months ago
Morrison’s is not a Middle man. It is SP’s agent for meter reading. SP don’t use their own meter readers. SP have decided it is cheaper to use an agent than to employ people for this job.

posted by Jonnel | 6 months ago
@SAHarts Lots of firms out-source non-critical work rather than tie up their own staff with routine jobs. The main benefit is that by putting a role out to tender, firms can get it done on the cheap by awarding the contract to the company prepared to do the job at the lowest bid. Which kind of explains MDS's performance... they must have offered to do the metering job for SP for next to nothing.

posted by Laddie76 | 5 months ago
Hi there please could you tell me why when I send my reading to you when asked why I have got a card from Morrison Data service asking for an urgent action to read my meter and send them the details. Many thanks

posted by gazza7251 | 5 months ago

Your supplier Scottish Power has requested Morrison Data services to do an eyeball read of your meter or a meter inspection..They provide all the meter readings and inspections  for Scottish Power and other suppliers on request as they do not have their own Meter Readers.

Morrison Data Services have a contract with Scottish Power to read or inspect any meters they request .

Morrison Data Services will only ask to read or inspect your meter if required by your supplier .

They have a contract to read or inspect a volume of meters as agreed when they negotiate a contract with your supplier.

Usually this is every six months or if your supplier requests a reading to confirm your own readings.

posted by casmo | 5 months ago

" Topic: Why use Data Services? (1 Update)
gazza7251 posted a new reply on 12-04-2019 06:42 AM
Your supplier Scottish Power has requested Morrison Data services to do an eyeball read of your meter or a meter inspection..They provide all the meter readings and inspections for Scottish Power and other suppliers on request as they do not have their own Meter Readers.

Morrison Data Services have a contract with Scottish Power to read or inspect any meters they request .

Morrison Data Services will only ask to read or inspect your meter if required by your supplier .

They have a contract to read or inspect a volume of meters as agreed when they negotiate a contract with your supplier.

Usually this is every six months or if your supplier requests a reading to confirm your own readings."

gazza7251....In my case Morrison Data sent a card wanting me to do the readings just like I would have done  for Scottish Power ...so there was no " eyeball reading " being done at all ...so no point in Morrison Data requiring the information, I just emailed Scottish Power direct . 

posted by gazza7251 | 5 months ago

No problem.

Just as easy to write your readings down on the back of the card and leave it in the window.

Saves the hassle of waiting on the phone or logging on to  their website.

They probably won’t keep hassling you for another reading if you do it through MDS.

SP don’t have their own Meter Readers as they have found it cheaper to use MDS to do the job for them as because they read for other suppliers at the same time they have a better density of properties.

posted by Jonnel | 5 months ago
@casmo First of all, it's in your contract with Scottish Power that they can give your details to any of their 'agents' they like. Secondly, they have given them to MDS because as already explained, SP have contracted the work out to MDS as it's cheaper than having their own meter readers.
To comply with SP's licence to supply energy under The Gas Act 1986, SP have to have a validated meter reading done by their agents (not you) at least once a year, so the need for them to see your meters might be that. It also might be that they dont trust your submitted readings or just want an authenticated reading because they havn't had one for a while.
The 'urgent' part of MDS's card is because thet don't get paid unless the reading is done and the only way they can provide a reading SP don't have is if you give it directly to them. That's why SP always say 'ignore the letter' when you ask them about it - it doesn't matter to them how long it takes MDS to get the reading. As long as SP have tried to fulfill the licence obligations they feel covered.
So you don't have to use MDS's website but you should let the guy in to read the meter and get it over with. Check his ID first though, or there's a password system you can use to check he is who he says he is.