Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by Fpalmar | A year ago
Re: Why use Data Services?
Hi. I ju had a rather snippy email from Scottish Power, saying change company if I like, to a more expensive company...
Now that I know that this is qn official readings company on behalf of Scottish Power, I will be quite happy to have my meter readings taken.. When I lived in Glasgow npower, who I was with then, sent an npower branded card through the door, so I understood who was trying to enter my house, I had never heard of this company, and I only wanted to make sure that it wasn't a scam..

I am quite happy to phone the number or submit a reading to the company now. Shame that Scottish Power don't just say (on the front page) that this is the company that do their in person readings, and if we could arrange for a suitable time for them to visit, then we can all be happy and get on with life. Ta Fiona
Highlighted

posted by Davc | A year ago

Glad your problem is solved, the Snippy email was not from SP but from one of us, we are  customers in this community forum, and his advice seems to have worked successfully. 

Highlighted

posted by Sparkle | A year ago

I have had a card through the door from Morrisons asking for my gas reading.  Same as other customers, I provide my readings to Scottish Power, why give them to a third party?  Apart from that, I have looked at their website and can't find the link to provide a meter reading. I am not ringing them.

Highlighted

posted by KatyBax | A year ago
Been away, found Morrison's meter reading card on return!! Puzzled!! I had only supplied my readings to Scottish Power on 24 May!! Do I contact Morrison's!!?? On their card they ask for Electric ref. No !Same for Gas, BUT these aren't written on the card, SO SHOULD I IGNORE???🤔
Highlighted

posted by Davc | A year ago

Yes it is safe to ignore the MDS card. They work to thier own schedule and do not know you have put in a reading recently.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 12 months ago

We had our first ever Morrison inspection today, the pleasant lady came in a Morrison van, and she wore a Morrison tee shirt. I did not ask for ID because I knew what to expect. She did take a reading and it will be interesting to see if it is sent to SP because I send readings monthly and the most recent only a week ago. I presume this was our annual statutory inspection, but we have not seen any meter readers for at least 2 years. 

Highlighted

posted by whiteowl | 12 months ago

Dont be surprised if it comes on as a estimate on your bill even if you have put in your  readings. it always does on mine.

Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | 12 months ago

@Davc 

Davc said: "We had our first ever Morrison inspection today, the pleasant lady came in a Morrison van, and she wore a Morrison tee shirt. I did not ask for ID because I knew what to expect. She did take a reading and it will be interesting to see if it is sent to SP because I send readings monthly and the most recent only a week ago. I presume this was our annual statutory inspection, but we have not seen any meter readers for at least 2 years."

From previous posts you've made, it's apparent you KNOW that MDS are your meter readers. One wonders if  I turned up at your doorstep saying I'm from Westphalia Water and your local authority have contracted me to check the fluorine levels in your tap water, whether you'd let me in too.

I do hope you wouldn't, and I think it irresponsible when people say it's okay to let complete strangers into your home when you don't know them or their company, or they can't prove who they are. There're enough vulnerable people out there being ripped off without 'How To...' guides being posted in public forums.

Highlighted

posted by Midboy | 12 months ago
The fact is that both electricity and gas are both potentially dangerous elements and the equipment that is used to transfer these elements into our homes for our use.. IE Meters of any sort and incoming supply pipes and cables of any sort ... It is a requirement and built into your terms and conditions and within law with any supplier and your contract with them to supply you , a need to be seen physically from time to time to ensure that the record of its safe condition and operation are observed and correct and that any interference with such equipment may be openly observed without obstruction ... some people are more proactive than others to observe there own meters and equipment but in order to ensure that the whole of the grid of electricity and gas supplies are constantly observed there as always been a duty and a system by supplier to keep an eye on these systems constantly and will be for all time , while this kind of controlled energy is used in our homes .. It is not only because of the the billing purpose but obviously any discrepancies will be pick up and corrected and communicated in order to try to keep everything overall to run smoothly . All operative meter and data readers engineers etc are vetted personnel and carry ID Photo with a free phone number that is displayed on the ID to call before you let anyone into your home , if you are in anyway uncertain .... It is not a big deal to allow someone into my home to let someone carry out a necessary job that is in all of our interests to be done ... There are always some people for various reasons that may not be comfortable with these spot visits but if you particularly have a problem just contact your supplier and make other arrangements but do not just continue to openly and on-going refuse access to there equipment on your property ... It is there right and duty to be allowed access at some point and a constant failure or refusal of access would need to be clarified in order that some method of agreed access can be achieved .. If not , it then maybe become a matter of law in order to get access to the suppliers equipments..
Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | 12 months ago

@Midboy Absolutely right, and all good information that absolutely no-one who's posted on this thread has ever disagreed with – although it has been posted many times before. You and I are almost on the same page. I wish that minority who think it's okay to let into your home people from a company you've never heard of, or think it's unnecessary to see (and follow up with a phone call) their ID, read it and understand it. Maybe they’ll stop telling people that’s safe to do, too.

If only Scottish Power had said to their customers: "Oh, by the way, your meter readers are Morisson Data Services." this thread wouldn't even exist.