Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Mark62 | A year ago
Re: Why use Data Services?
I too have had the letter. My issue is that S.P. Should be informing us of this. How would we know it’s genuine.
As and the post says, why.....

posted by Barry_A | A year ago

I had new 'smart' meters installed well over a year ago. The gas meter has never been able to provide readings automatically, I still have to enter gas readings myself.

Despite this, I still receive letters from scottish power asking me to consider coverting to smart meters??

posted by Barney1 | 11 months ago

I have received a card through the front also requesting i log onto morrisonds.com or call an 0845 number with my readings. Also aggrieved that SP didn't have the courtesy to advise of the 3rd party and will ignore it and wait for my quarterly email from SP to supply my readings.  I will also make a complaint and seriously think whether to switch to another provider.

posted by Davc | 11 months ago

You can ignore Morrisons if you send your readings direct to SP

posted by Jonnel | 11 months ago
@Barney1 - The unknown third party involvement really is the issue here, isn't it. I challenged SP over this a while ago and it took them two months to come up with the same response Morrisons themselves did. Apparently, it's a supplier licensing requirement under The Gas Act that an actual physical reading of customers' meters is made every year. Which begs the question: Why is SP telling customers to "ignore Morrison's letters" and not "please arrange for Morrisons to see your meters." Why have Morrisons at all if they're telling us to ignore them?
Let us know how you get on.

posted by Badger | 11 months ago
As I understand it, having received a request from ‘Morrison Data Services’ on 23rd October 2018 for a meter reading, this is in breach of the new data protection laws. I would never willingly supply my data to a 3rd party, particularly a company like this who are part of the G4S group.

@Badger - I'm afriad it's not a GDPR breach. You agreed to your details being passed to any third party that Scottish Power considers one of it's "agents" when you began using their services and paying your bills. It's in the small print of all our contracts..

posted by Badger | 11 months ago
You may well be right but I’m under the impression that when the new GDPR rules came into being on May 25th it superseded any T’s & C’s agreed to before that date. In this case it’s incumbent upon both SP and MDS to seek my permission and explain clearly the details of the data they possess and what they intend to use it for, which hasn’t happened. I’ve corresponded with the ICO about this problem relating to other businesses and they state that if any individual or institution holds data that can identify me they must follow the rules regardless of any contract agreed to by me under the previous data protection act 1998.

@Badger - That's interesting to hear... not at all what MDS and Scottish Power have told me. The Ombudsman Service implied the same, though to be fair to them, stopped short of a definitive answer. But then, when have The Ombudsman Service ever given a clear concise answer on anything?
Do you have any article references or case records to show this is supportable we could use - that wouldn't result in SP withdrawing their service?

posted by Davc | 11 months ago

For goodness sake stop trying to make a legal issue of this. Just accept Morrisons have a contract with SP to collect meter readings, no big problem, no need for Data Protection and legal precedents.  If you give meter readings direct to SP there is no need to send to Morrisons. but if Morrisons need to make a visit to inspect the meters you must allow them to as it is part of their contract.    I don't know why people get so het up about invasion of privacy and so on, Morrisons have contracts with all the major utility companies and they can be trusted.