Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Starting Meter Reading - How to Correct This

posted by michaelshocked | A month ago

I have recently signed up with Scottish Power.

They have the wrong starting meter reading on my electricity reading for a date that is even 3 months before I joined Scottish Power. This would leave me using 55,000 units in the past three months, just before my first payment is due to be assessed.

What I don't understand is that the previous supplier has the end reading (the correct one) on their final bill, but Scottish have a completely different reading and a wrong date, which pre-dates when I switched supplier by at least 3 months.

How do I change this? Do I have to wait to call them on the helpline? There seems to be no way to email contact or chat on Sunday or call, the day on which I want to deal with this.

Totally frustrating!

8 comments
Highlighted

Top answer

posted by Davc | A month ago
Re: Wrong Starting Meter Reading - How to Correct This

Send an email to contactus@scottishpower.com. Give all your details, account number address etc and tell them the correct meter reading, they may ask you for a photo of the meter.

posted by michaelshocked | A month ago

I will try that, and we'll see. I hope it works as I've worked out that they'll be calculating my electricity used as about £4,000!

posted by michaelshocked | 4 weeks ago
Resolved in 24 hours. It worked

posted by Naynay2010 | 4 weeks ago

Good afternoon could someone send the contact number so as I can speak to the right department regarding the problem I and currently having. Thank you.

posted by Davc | 4 weeks ago

The general contact number is 0800 027 0072

posted by joejoe | 3 weeks ago

Don,t know about wrong starting meter reading but since i got my smart meter in May my bills have went through the roof  something not right worst thing i ever did wish they would come and take the thing away

posted by Davc | 3 weeks ago

Hi Before the smart meters when did you last send in a meter reading?  If you have been on estimates you could be just catching up with reality after a long time of low estimates. Check your bills and the kWh units used, we would like to help but just saying your a paying more does not give enough information. 

posted by Bev | A week ago

i too am in the same boat.

My tale of woe consists of 12 attempts to inform SP of the takeon mater reading, all logged and shown in the Activity log...

gas ok, elec under.  traced the issue due to SP NOT correctly handling the info sent from previous supplier - spotted that SP were using a date that matched old suppliers last bill date.  The meter reading had dropped the last right hand most digit so my read was not 88000 odd but only 8800!! a 'meter reading dirven shortfall that would result in a bill of £12k.  I will try the email route - odd it's not in any help.

Re smart meters I read somehwere else that they are not accurate if you've got LED lights (and face it who hasn't!) these put noise up the power which confuses the meters.  Secondly they link to the display unit does not work well in newer house as they typically have foil wrapped insulation behind the brickwork which effectively screens the house.  The smart meter installers can up the power on the meter but most don't... reminds me of getting BT Infinity installed - lesson learnt if a third party 'installing on behalf of openreach' van turns up send them away and insist on a OpenReach engineer.