cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

my gas meter display is blank

posted by breslauer | 3 years ago

Hi

Snow has disappeared, I decided to provide up-to-date readings. My electricity meter was fine, but I've discovered my gas meter* display is blank. I pressed all buttons, I read the manual (apparently it has own battery, but don't remember low battery warning when I provided my first reading back in January), the display is still blank.

I'll give it another day, but anyone knows who should I email or call?

IMG_20180304_125916.jpg*Elster Themis Alpha BK-G4 E

29 comments
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 3 years ago
Re: my gas meter display is blank
It is the IHD (In House Display) that has its own battery, the meter itself in your photo has mains power in order to transmit its readings. You can make the IHD show a reading even if the meter screen is blank, and I am sure the right combination of buttons for a BK-G4E meter will show a reading. Try this link https://docuthek.kromschroeder.com/documents/download.php?lang=de&doc=43995
Highlighted

Thanks for prompt reply Davc

The manual clearly states that there is a battery in the device.

Also, the manual explains 2 situations the display remains off - energy saving mode and fault. Since I can't hear any beep is suspect the device is faulty now. 

Problem is - I've never heard any beep before, even when the display was functional.

Capture.JPG

Highlighted

Ha, yes if I had scrolled down in the link I would have noticed the stuff about a battery.  I wonder if most Smart gas meters have a battery, and why, maybe so thay can record gas usage during an electricity cut?  

Highlighted

not sure if I have to inform the manufacturer of Scottish Power... I don't want to ignore this and later get into trouble

Highlighted

You definitely need to tell Scottish Power for all meter faults.

Highlighted

this brings me back to my original question: should I email them (what email address should I use) or call (what's the number I should call?). Anyone knows?

Highlighted

I would start with 0800 027 0072 which is the general contact number for all problems.

Highlighted

I made a call, but was a bit disappointing. It seems I have to find the party who installed it when my house was built and Scottish Power will not assist with the repair. Worringly I didnt get explanation how billing would look like for the period the meter remains faulty.

Back in square 1.

Highlighted

PS My previous supplier denied to help as well - they told me it was not their responsibility any more. Is there email at Scottish Power I could communicate through? Spent almost 2 hrs waiting for connections today...