Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prepayment electricity meter display blank

posted by aj91 | 2 years ago

hi,

my electricity prepayment meter is lit up but with no digits showing, usually showing credit remaining on it. I've tried inserting the key and pressing the button a few times however it remains blank. Is this something I contact SP about fixing /replacing?

thanks

34 comments

posted by Jan76 | 2 years ago
Re: prepayment electricity meter display blank
Hi did you find out what was wrong? I am fed up trying to contact SP & I am not willing to download an app to contact them.

posted by Pol | A year ago

Hi,

I have experienced the same issue followinf some work done by SP Energy Networks.

I have been advised that the meter is now in "credit mode" and needs to be replaced....it is not possible to obtain a balance of credit over the phone  so a new meter is coming in a couple of weeks.

Positives - I still have power

Negatives - I have no idea how much energy I am using. As the meter is in credit mode I will not need to put credit in from the key so wont know how much I am using nor indeed how much will be added to my account in the meantime

I cannot change to  credit meter, firstly I have to have the pay as you go meter replaced and then log a new job to have the pay as you go replaced by a credit meter...surely there has to be a more efficient way.

posted by Davc | A year ago

@Pol   I'm not sure about your system but it might be possible to press a button and show a meter reading?  If so write it down and check the same reading when they come to replace the meter, that will tell you how much you have used while the meter is in Credit Mode.

posted by Pol | A year ago

Hi,

Thanks for response....the only button available is the emergency credit button and despite trying short and long press I get nada! (The meter was were when I moved in a couple of decades ago !)

I have a pretty goo idea of my usage so can estimate credit over time and I can of course view the amount of credit applied each time on my account overview.

What I find dissapointing is that the SP Energy network lads that replaced the cable head did not point out the effect on the meter...if I had not decided to check my credit level I would not have noticed....and elderly person may well have neglected this until well behind in payments?

P

posted by Leesm40 | A year ago
I have the same issue with my prepayment meter, I’ve been down to check how much is on it earlier today and the screen is blank.

Due to the current issues with Covid I’m finding it impossible to get through and speak to someone, I’ve also emailed them and am waiting for a response.

Any ideas on how to resolve this ? And will I end up without power, or as mentioned earlier will the meter now be credit mode ?

posted by Caretaker | A year ago
I have exactly same problem
I had my prepaid meter installed on 20/02/2020 and still blank cannot phone them so waiting for email reply
I been told it could take about 1 month
To register but not much details
Am starting to feel this company is very disspointing even the engineers who came to my property to install he said it will take 48 hours now am wondering how long until my credit goes down
Until I have no electricity

posted by Davc | A year ago

@Caretaker   Your new PAYG meter is probably a smart meter.  It may show information if you press its buttons. Your account online can be used to top up the meter and check its status.  If you do not have an online account register for one.

posted by johnpritch | A year ago
can you please repair or replace the meter

posted by johnpritch | A year ago

the meter is at Breea chapel house, Pentre Berw, Gaerwen, Anglesey. LL60 6LH. The property is empty at present and I would like to get the meter fixed before the house is rented. To gain access please email me at                                                                john. pritchard341@btinternet.com to to arrange date and time. Thank you.