Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Billybean | A month ago
Re: prepayment electricity meter display blank
From reading the messages, it seems it's a result of a power cut which I didnt notice .
Also seems that I need to just keep topping up each week as normal although I'm unable to see any balance, but it's in credit so must be ok

posted by JBrough | A month ago
I have problem, fed up getting fobbed off about getting a smart meter. My account is showing no usage since May 2020 and in £300 in credit. The £300 is money I have loaded on to the key but now the key is full and no more can be added. The call agent told me account in credit and nothing to worry about....so confused

posted by DavC1 | A month ago

@JBrough    If your key is full have you tried putting it into the meter so that the meter can read the credit you have bought.   Paying for the card in the shop is only part of the process, you then must put the card in the meter. 

posted by IknowAlot | A month ago

Most of the time when a pay as you go meter screen goes blank, it has went into "safe mode", your electricity supply will not cut off in this mode, BUT, if you do not keep topping up your key in the usual manner (KEEP ALL RECEIPTS) you will build up a debt that will be based on and worked out via your past electricity usage.

A meter in safe mode will no longer be fixed, instead Scottish Power will tell you that they need to fit a SMART METER to your property. If you want to avoid having a smart meter fitted, tell them that the bill payer is severely autistic and cannot deal with that kind of change and a replacement pay as you go key meter should then provided.

posted by IknowAlot | A month ago
Hopefully, you have kept all the receipts from when you have topped up your key, when you call SP again, tell them that you need a new key as you cannot load any more credit onto your old key and that you do not want to be building up any kind of debt, they should send out a new key to enable you to keep topping up.
The big issue with this problem is that SP are highly unlikely to refund you anything and as you cannot see what usage you have or don't have, it's very hard to argue.
It's almost as though it's part of the plan to force you to have a Smart Meter.