Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't sign up to PowerUp

posted by Byron | 4 years ago

I'm trying to sign up to Power Up from my account but for the last few days have been getting:

"Something went wrong.  We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were dealing with an urgent matter, please call us on 0800 027 0072".

I called customer services but they can't help saying I must wait for 5 working days to get a call back from PowerUp team. I will be away for a few months in 3 days and my tariff ends while I am away so wanted to sort before going.

It should be easy to do on the website because it takes me through 2 out of 3 stages and then get the message above. I need to sort this out otherwise it's better I switch to another provider. PowerUp is not actually the cheapest, but I thought it easier than switching provider. At this rate, switching may actually be easier.

Please someone help me.

19 comments

posted by steveking1000 | 4 years ago
Re: Can't sign up to PowerUp

Hi

Like you I was trying to sign up yesterday after getting the 2your deal i coming to an end" email and it kept giving the same error. Today (5/1/18) it seems Ok so I have succesfully signed up.

Then I download the powerup app as instructed on the signup and video but it won't log me in as it says I don't have a power up account.

Try ringing scottish power and after all the menu options it just says "we're busy" and hangs up on you.

Try booking a call back and every single slot says "no slots are avalible"

I think I've just made an awful mistake sticking with SP!!!!

posted by samolyneux | 4 years ago

I have tried to sign up to Power up 4 times ..paid the small debit on my account ...but no promised email comes through. I keep trying to phone but give up after 1 hour each time.

I too have downloaded the app. But cannot connect.

any idea what to do ?

Hi

I think there's some changes coming today that will hopefully sort it. A lot of people are in the same boat, if possible I'd recommend waiting till tomorrow. Fingers crossed and I hope a fix is posted soon!

Steve

posted by Skakagrall | 4 years ago

I signed up for PowerUp but I was put on another tariff when I switched from a non-Scottish Power emergy provider. How do I change over to PowerUp online? (I obviously want to avoid these excruciatingly slow telephone calls if at all possible.) Thank you for any help you can provide. 

posted by Davc | 4 years ago

First you have to have an SP on-line account.

Then you go to the PowerUp pages https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/powerup

and apply for a PowerUp account. Follow the process through, you need a smart phone or tablet to make it work, and you have to pre-pay for the power contract you use (month, quarter or 6-month). The prices are cheaper the longer the contract you have.

I have had an SP account since 5 March. Unfortunately if I try to use the PowerUp pages https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/powerup I get a notice a notice saying "We cannot complete your quote online". I am directed to call 0800 027 0072. They say that PowerUp is nothing to do with them. They refer (or don't refer) the problem back to the "PowerUp team" who so far have not been willing to communicate. I also can't give meter readings on the website (I tried that because I thought that might be the problem.) Meanwhile there is already a charge of GBP 68.93 on the website, apparently for the 4 days usage.

That's not the only problem I have had either. I was told I was on the wrong SP tariff for PowerUp and they insisted I change for another one, providing full bank details. This worries me. It seems PowerUp may not be available and I am trapped on a high charge tariff.

posted by Davc | 4 years ago

Hi Skaka, It seems SP need you to be on a direct debit tariff before they will switch you to PowerUp. It is odd because PowerUp is a prepayment account so credit checks should not be necessary. Anyway it is always no-charge to switch between SP accounts, and the fixed term accounts are a lot cheaper than the standard variable rate deal paid quarterly.

I suggest you switch to an April 2019 tariff, which will be cheaper for you, and then after the system has settled down for a month apply again for PowerUp.

On Thursday March 8, I made another attempt at communicating with Scottish Power. I was indeed told that I had to be on a direct debit tariff. It sound expensive (the line was bad as usual) but since it's impossible to use email with Scottish Power, I wearily (and warily!) agreed. I was assured that I could switch to PowerUp the next day via the website.
I tried to get on PowerUp on Friday March 10, but the website didn't allow me to do this. I thought this might be because I needed to enter meter readings, but I was allowed to do that anyway. I noticed that my account balance after just 4 days had shot up to £69.
I called Scottish Power again, but they couldn't tell me what was wrong.
I suppose my time will again be wasted next week!
What a disaster!

For what it's worth, my advise is stick with it. Some things seem to take a few days to settle down with SP, but this is similar to most big organisations these days.

I bought 6 months up front power and once it's up and running, it works great and it's much cheaper for me at least.