Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Changing from prepayment to direct debit

posted by jimra56 | 12 months ago

How do I arrange to change from pre payment to direct debit through a smart meter?

11 comments
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 12 months ago
Re: Changing from prepayment to direct debit

To change from pre payment to a credit account you have to apply to customer services. If you are in a rented accommodation you also have to get the landlord's permission. It will probably involve a change of meter and a credit check, so it is quite a long process.

Highlighted

posted by kimmy | 8 months ago

Good Morning,

over a month ago i made a request to change from a prepayment meter to monthly direct debit, provided all of my deatils for the credit check and landlord permission and was told i would be notified by e-mail. It was a lenghty process and i have not heard anything back.

Thanks Kim

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 8 months ago

@kimmy   You could remind them again, maybe they are sorting out a new meter installation for you?

Highlighted

posted by W23951935w | 8 months ago

I have been trying  to get a smart meter fitted , and pay by direct debit,I phoned customer services and arranged for

someone to change the meter last thursday 10/10/2019 but no one turned up I am not happy with the service very poor

I explained to the lady that the meter  was faulty as for example if I put £20. in it regsted £50.

Highlighted

posted by maggiemoo | A month ago

hello its lockdown time and i cant get out to top up......how can i get a direct debit rather than a card meter

Highlighted

posted by Davc | A month ago

@maggiemoo   You cannot switch to a different meter while the lockdown is on. Keep using the PAYG meter it is your only option for now.   Ask a friend to top up your card in a post office.

Highlighted

posted by ampscoffee | A month ago

HI please change my payment from prepayment to direct debit please many thanks and i feel my electricity tariffes are expansive need to consider on that tariffe please regrads 

Highlighted

posted by yuliesyeti | A month ago

Having received my annual bill on 10th April, you advised me that your cheapest overall tariff was with "Super Saver" April 2021 86.

As I am on a pre-paymeny key system at present, how soon can you arrange for me to go onto Direct Debit.   This method, according to your statement would save me £ 153.92 during the course of the year.

May I also pass comment on your system of contact.   On using the phone number given 0800 027 0072, I was twice told by your robot to "contat by email etc.etc.etc." which as you will see from my request, a verbal response from a responsible adult would have prooved a more reliable way to deal with any of your customers.    I am 82 years old and do require assistance with electronic gadgetry.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | A month ago
@yuliesyeti. The process of change is quite long winded. You have to be approved as worthy of credit and then men have to come to your house and change your meter and then you have to choose the best tariff for you. At the present time this process is not seen as an emergency and you will have to wait at least 6 months and then another 6 months while you wait in a queue.
So it’s not worth pursuing for now. Keep using your card system.