Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Romford | A year ago
Re: Changing from prepayment to direct debit

I have read the reviews by clientele wanting to change from prepayment to direct debit. I understand there will be some delay in the process for this owing to the covide-19 pandemic, however, there must be the ability of Scotish Power to, through the enhanced computor system, simply use the prepayment meter now being used and install direct debit system speedily and conviniently for all concerned. Kind regards, Edward McEachran.

posted by David5H | A year ago
We ordered a switch last year, the guy came out and said that it was a different type of meter than on the records and couldn't do the change and that we had to call up and rearrange another switch... extremely annoyed that we had to rearrange. After waiting on the phone for over an hour to rearrange I gave up and have not rearranged yet. Obviously won't happen any time soon now due to lockdown.

posted by Nwad | A year ago
I am in rented accommodation and think that the Pre-payment system is ridiculously expensive. I have to go down to a spider infested and wet cellar to top up! It is very dangerous for me and as I have chronic arthritis and am 65 - I asked to be put on a Direct Debit system which is so much easier (and also cheaper) to do. I spoke to a customer service representative who said it would be ok for me to go on this system as I have been here for over two years - but as am in rented accommodation would need the landlords permission! Why? I am made to feel like a 2nd class citizen. This is outrageous and I pay for my gas by direct debit and have always done so. As do I pay my water bills and council tax be Direct Debit. Why do Scottish Power make it so difficult to change a system of paying - is it because they are cashing in on Pre-payment meter charging the MOST expensive form of electricity?

posted by Davc | A year ago
@Nwad. Sorry but the meter system is owned by the landlord, you can ask him to agree to a change, but you cannot change without his permission.
It’s not SP’s decision it’s just the way landlord and tenant agreements work.

posted by jizzbo | 11 months ago
I am desperate for mine

posted by DevSingh | 9 months ago
Hi
I am also wanting to change my gas to direct debit, and have a meter change. I understand work is not being carried out yet due to COVID. Is SP talking about when it will be safe to do, surely this must be a discussion in meetings you have. Can SP keep us in the loop with updates on the main website.

posted by K66kbg | 5 months ago

This process is far to long.  The Government needs to apply pressure on the companies to resolve this much quicker. I wouls suggest contacting your local MP and also any energy forums that could assist.

@Romford wrote:

I have read the reviews by clientele wanting to change from prepayment to direct debit. I understand there will be some delay in the process for this owing to the covide-19 pandemic, however, there must be the ability of Scotish Power to, through the enhanced computor system, simply use the prepayment meter now being used and install direct debit system speedily and conviniently for all concerned. Kind regards, Edward McEachran.

posted by K66kbg | 5 months ago
This is what the companies want. All to be automated so they don't have to speak with anyone unless it's your custom that they want. Very poor and inadequate customer relations.

posted by Kmart | Yesterday
I think SP put up deliberate obstacles to make it impossible to make the switch.
I just moved in to a new property that had a prepayment meter. When contacting SP to try to make the switch to a standard credit meter I was told I needed to set up the prepayment account first which would take 2 weeks. Ok.... so I did that. Then after the set up time I called back and was told that they can’t install a credit meter without installing a smart meter first but that smart meters aren’t available in my area. This is just plain wrong! I own the property and I have paid SP by direct debit for the last 10 years in my old property. I was spoken to really badly by the representative and I’ve now spent 3 hours on the phone trying to sort this out. I’m furious and want to switch supplier, just trying to work out who to go with instead.... very poor service

posted by DavC1 | 20 hours ago

@Kmart   That sounds really wrong, unless you are in a country area with no mobile phone signals smart meters should go almost everywhere.  If you cannot get a mobile signal SP should install a traditional meter.  There are many suppliers with excellent customer service who could help you, to name few Octopus, Bulb and British Gas.