Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra energy

posted by pickle | 3 years ago

Why are Scottish power trying to charge an exit fee for anyone coming from extra energy. I herd that that is not allowed if you move within the first 3 months of the switch then your free to do so.  Is that true?

22 comments

posted by jo-h | 2 years ago
Re: Extra energy
Why are we in April and still no credit from extra energy. Get you to pick a contract. Picked one with no exit fees. Sure they are not paying up as don’t want you to leave. Had one bill since joining. Keep do meter readings no bill.
Please hurry and add my credit to my account so I can then move to a another company.
ScottishPower are useless. Bill are more expensive. Even if choose better tariff states pay X. Then click on it goes up £30 per month. Shocking

posted by Jonnel | 2 years ago
@jo-h Scottish Power haven't done a good job at integrating all ExEn's customers into their systems, admittedly, but your anger is mis-placed. You should be angry at Ofgem really, not Scottish Power because it's Ofgem who gave your custom and accounts and credit balances to Scottish Power to handle.

You being angry at SP is like doing your shopping at Asda, being short-changed, then getting upset with Tesco when they volunteer to give you what you're owed but can't yet because Santander won't tell them how much you're owed....

Yes they assigned ScottishPower power but they would have been in talks about it. No communication from ScottishPower power took over 3 months for them to open an account. I had to chase.
So why are ScottishPower not updating use weekly or monthly explaining what they are doing. It was not my choice to be with Scottish power they are making it hard to leave. Or charging you higher rate.
Customer service is shocking.

@jo-h You're absolutely right. I can't argue with anything you say there, but the fact remains - Scottish Power bid for ExEn's customers along with other energy providers. But it was Ofgem, who GAVE you to them...

So ScottishPower bid for it. If they cannot deal with it should not bid.
5 months to get money what is owed is disgusting.
So ScottishPower are at fault. Giving them a month. Be leaving paying only what is owed minus what is owed.

@jo-h They had to bid for ExEn's customers really. As one of the Big 6 there was a very real chance they would be forced to take some or all of you anyway, being an Ofgem-accountable supplier. By bidding, they got to set some of the points of the deal rather than being forced to accept whatever Ofgem decided. You may not know, but one of the finer points SP set was that they would 'honour' ExEn's customers credit balances - but they said nothing about 'repaying' those balances or even WHEN they would be 'honoured.' For all we know, 'honoured' might mean a credit of £5 a month off each of your SP bills for any number of years, rather than a cheque now. Ofgem agreed to that.

So apart from Scottish Power's truely dreadful customer service, which has always been bad (hence Ofgem fining them millions a few years ago for just that) SP haven't broken any promises by not giving away instant cash. It'll come, I don't doubt, but it's up to SP how and when they do it. Remember, Ofgem knew that and agreed to it BEFORE giving you to SP..

To my mind, if Ofgem had the final say, and agreed to SP's plan, they're the culpable ones.

My point exactly no communication. All get once sorted we will refund. But nothing to explain what they are doing.
No support or advise

They have to pay back the balance. They have stated they will.

So you are arguing how not ScottishPower fault. But they can advice.
So will be leaving as soon as I can. End of

@jo-h Oh, I'm no lover of Scottish Power, believe me, I'm not trying to argue anything, just trying to point out who I think is really to blame here. In my opinion it's Ofgem for not ensuring the firm they've chosen is up to the job. They've taken you guys out of the frying pan and put you in the fire.

But leaving Scottish Power may well be the best thing to do in your situation, actually. The consensus of opinion is that you're more likely to get your balance refunded in one lump sum if you leave. The only drawback to that is as others have pointed out - it'll make the paper trail longer, so may make the delay in getting your money longer. At least you'd be with a supplier who talked to you, though.

posted by filbert16 | 2 years ago

I have no real problem with Scottish Power but the reality is the tariffs are poor.  I suppose you pay more to go with a company that doesn't fold on you Smiley Happy. What is strange is that if they did bid for the business they seem to care little about retaining your business. I imagine most of extra energys customers were with them for a reason (cost) and a quick 10 minutes on uswitch tells me I am being seriously overcharged currently. I did look to change tariffs and they are more expensive. So the question I have is what happens to my account and I believe owed refund from extra energy if I leave.....how do I get that refund or am I stuck paying a DD which is £50 more than I was previously. I accept EE were clearly tinpot and you have to take some impact but all this seems a bit poor and I feel locked in to something I dont want.