Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive price increases when changing to new tariff

posted by stranded | A month ago

Hi. I've got the rest of this month to go on my current fixed tariff. Although not the cheapest, i decided to stick with Scottish Power. But should I have done so? My direct debit is due to increase by 40% - yes, that is forty percent - on switching to the cheapest available new tariff. I'm only a small user, at about 20kWH per week, but that is a massive price rise all the same. I realise that prices generally rose in April this year, and I was on a 12-month contract. But I am only  supplied with electricity. I'd like to know what others think.

3 comments

posted by Davc | A month ago
Re: Massive price increases when changing to new tariff

Hi, My electricity is 1500 kWh/year and costs about £300. If you are a low user like me you should avoid deals with a high standing charge, pick the lowest daily standing charge. You can swap SP deals any time you like without a penalty.

posted by stranded | A month ago

I do do exactly that. On the tarriff currently in use my costs have been £25 a month exactly, i.e £300 a year. bascically I am only averaginging about 7kWH  daily. My projected cost for the next year (bySSE) on the same amount of electricity is now £35 per month. That's with a standing charge of 8.22p per day, the cheapest on offer. It's a rise of 40%. I am not happy but cannot get anything cheaper with SSE.

posted by Davc | A month ago

Sounds like you have chosen the right tariff. Your supplier is ScottishPower, not SSE, which is a competitor.