Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerUp Tariff

posted by Sue61 | 3 years ago

can't get through on the phone to ask someone about this PowerUp tariff .

not sure if it is a good thing to do and can i pay for a samsung galaxy j3 phone 

4 comments

Top answer

posted by  Gordon | 3 years ago
Re: PowerUp Tariff

Hi @Sue61, sorry just replied to your post on the other board then seen this post which explains your question.

With PowerUp the main difference is that you pay for your energy up front in days. You can either buy in multiples of days (from 1-29 days) or choose a 1 month, 3 month or 6 month package. So rather than paying the same amount every month, the price you pay is relative to the amount you are forecasted to use in that time period. It's a bit like topping up a car with petrol.

If it sounds like something you might be interested in you can get a personalised quote based on your consumption using the 'Change My Tariff' feature in your online account, here's a link directly to it. 

The minimum requirement for the Android app is Android version 4.0.3, which your Samsung J3 should have. Although might be worth checking in the Google Play store on your phone beforehand as it will tell you for sure if it is compatible 🙂

posted by Davc | 3 years ago
There is no link in the above comment by Gordon.
Also Gordon, could you ask the team if they can publish the offer prices for PowerUp prominently and not hidden away at https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/powerup-support/information-archive

posted by  Gordon | 3 years ago

Hi @Davc, the link is www.scottishpower.co.uk/changemytariff. The hyperlink is there, but maybe the text colour is not too visible - will feedback to our design team to change it. 

It's a good suggestion on the unit prices, the reason we did not do this initially was because PowerUp is a bit different from fixed price energy tariffs where you commit to the unit prices as you sign up. With PowerUp you buy packages where the unit price can change, and you commit to the unit price at the time you buy the package where the unit price is clearly displayed. Will feed this back to the team that look after PowerUp though. 

posted by Davc | 3 years ago

Hi Gordon. Thanks for your reply. I tried to find the link in your first post, it is definitely not there, I ran the cursor over all the spaces and it did not change to a finger pointing symbol anywhere.

Your explanation of not showing PowerUp prices until the App offers a new contract is unexpected. PowerUp enables you to be a sort of energy trader who can buy long or short, it is very important to see which way prices are trending even if you are not buying today. As I said the current prices are published but it took me a long time to find the link at https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/powerup-support/information-archive. Please could you ask the team again to make an easy-to-find link on both the SP web pages, and the App.

For example, since I started PowerUp in April17 prices have changed in May, July and September. They are now 2.5% dearer for electricity and 16% dearer for gas, but still cheaper than the latest April19v2 contract. I expect a new price in the next few weeks, maybe with a big electricity rise, but a small gas rise. Without this sort of information I would not want to buy contracts 'in the dark'. 

With PowerUp, even more than a normal time-contract, pricing is essential information. 

Regards

Davc