Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advised my new fixed rate tariff cost is going up?

posted by alansiz | 6 months ago
Received an email yesterday advising my fixed rate tarrif is going up per month based on ‘smart meter’ readings?? Well here is a graphic of my last few months usage?
Anyone else having this
6 comments

posted by Davc | 6 months ago
Re: Advised my new fixed rate tariff cost is going up?

A lot of people say this, it is caused by a long run of estimates being corrected with an actual reading from the smart meters. You did not suddenly use more, but you have now been brought up to date.  That is why your DD has been raised, a fixed rate tariff means the rate per kwh is fixed, but the bills will change depending on how much you use.

posted by Hooloovoo | 6 months ago
This seems to be a disturbingly common mistake.

A fixed rate tariff does NOT mean that you can use as much gas and electricity as you like and keep paying the same amount. That would be great, wouldn't it?

The "fixed rate" part means that your cost per kWh of electricity or gas will remain the same for the term of the tariff. But, of course, if you use more then you will pay more and your total monthly bill will be higher. As @Davc says your bill has been brought up to date based on accurate current meter readings. Your previous bills have likely been estimated. It would have been sensible for you to submit your own meter readings to correct these estimated bills. You may find that your payments will now be higher than usual in order to pay off a debt that has built up over the last few months, and then decrease a little once the balance is cleared.

Nevertheless, if your bills are higher than you would like the only way to reduce them is to use less gas and electricity.

You probably ought to have a thorough read of your tariff terms and conditions, and the information contained in your monthly PDF bills, so that you are confident that you understand the nature of the product your are purchasing. Expecting to use as much as you like for no extra cost because the tariff is "fixed" is naive in the extreme.

Thank you for your replies, I am afraid you have missed the point. 

The point was the consumption had been constant. Evident from the usage data provided on the images provided. Im not sure from your comments you have looked at those.

Furthermore, the payment at the previous amount, £26 per month less than that advised, had been steadily accruing a credit balance, and a healthy credit balance at that. 

Given the two above it is obvious that i was paying MORE than I needed to at that time. I am aware the stats are over the summer months and my gas consumption will go up as the heating kicks in. I would have thought that SP would have looked to see how the credit balance was affected and in fact had an idea based on last years data before hoofing on a 20% increase. As it turns out, they do. 

After my query to them, they have agreed and reduced the proposed DD increase by half. 

At the very least, SP jumped the gun, arguably they were just plain wrong but time will tell over the cold period. 

In summary, well aware fixed price is fixed price per unit. Sometimes there is more to a question than first meets the eye, it is dare I say it, 'naive' to think otherwise...

thank you

In that case, your question title was simply wrong and the question itself very badly worded.

You query is regarding the setting of the direct debit amount, and nothing to to with fixed (or variable, or otherwise) tariffs. You have at no point been advised that your "new fixed rate tariff cost" is going up because it isn't. Your direct debit is simply a payment onto your account and completely unrelated to your tariff.

To expect correct answers to a malformed question is, dare I say it, naive.

I'm please to hear you have had a successful outcome following your query with Scottish Power. Do bear in mind that Scottish Power make available a Direct Debit Manager to enable you to manually change your direct debit value if you feel it is incorrect.
Highlighted

... and just to add. If there is "more to a question than first meets the eye" then you probably ought to consider the content of your post and adding more explicit information in order to enable a successful and helpful reply from this community. While those of us here are happy to help, we are not, sadly, mindreaders.

Wow! Did you look at the pictures? Before you posted your first condescending reply?

now you add a second, condescending reply? 

How about you review your attitude, to people asking a question and perhaps read a post in its entirety before blasting future posts with your scorn. My question was factually correct. The attached information made it completely clear. You stick in your judgemental bubble, im sure its cosy and warm in your smugness