Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are electric smart meters being installed now single or two rates?

posted by tcyjohnny | A year ago

I currently have an single rate analogue electric meter. My Online Saver Fixed deal does have the two rate tarffic as far as I know.

Are new electric smart meters two rate (day & night rates) meters? Meaning I can then take advantage of lower cost electricity at night? And will Scottish Power need to update something on my account to 'switch' me over to the two rate charging model on the same tariff?

Many thanks in advance to whoever can help me.

*I am in the 'Southern' region.

11 comments

posted by mickeydee2018 | A year ago
Re: Are electric smart meters being installed now single or two rates?
Hi there
Most smart meters being installed are single rate purely because the vast majority of homes are single rate, however two rate smart meters are available for those on a two rate tariff. If you wanted to change to a two rate meter you would be changed to a currently available two rate tariff and a new meter would be required. I hope this has answered your question?

Thank you, in which case. Is there a charge to change my single rate to a two rate meter?

posted by kiteman | A year ago

I too was interested in two rate meters' and as I am about to be changed to a smart meter, I asked the same question of the firm changing the meter'

They in turn asked SP and this is the reply I had e-mailed to me from the meter changing firm

"Rates offered by Scottish power will work on the smart meters!"

I can't however find evidence the SP offers dual rate tarrifs

Been going round in circles with this one for months!!

posted by mickeydee2018 | A year ago
There is no charge for a meter change @tcyjohnny
@kiteman SP definitely offer two rate meters e.g Economy 7, here is details of all their tariffs https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/tariff-information.process?execution=e1s1, if you give them a call on 0800 027 0072 they can advise you or drop them an email at contactus@scottishpower.com
Highlighted

Thanks for the info Mickey----I will check it out.

After extensive calls, I am told by SP that he current smart meters are single tariff only
The second generation of meters ( due in a few months!!!) MAY be able to take 2 rates????????
I have cancelled my smart meter installation and SP are going to install an Economy 7 meter instead
In other words back to my original mechanical meter with a time clock
I have calculated that I can save over £20 per month on my electricity usage

@mickeydee2018 Thank you for the info, I've just rang up to request the change, hopefully can be done soon.

@kiteman I was talking to an electrcian from SSE (local utility infrastructure provider) in October last year, and even he said to me (on the quiet as he was finishing a job for a neighour): don't bother with the smart meter yet, there's no point until the gen 2 ones are out. Make of that what you will Smiley Tongue

I too have just requested an appointment to have an Economy 7 meter installed to take advantge of the cheaper rate overnight. My job is probably in the system not much behing yours @kiteman

Thanks for all the help and input. I hope someone finding this thread in the future will find it useful.

Have a nice day you all!

posted by Donfor | A year ago
Thanks Kiterman

Your eco7 smart meter info matches what I was last advised from SP community staff person.
I was advised late 2017 that's eco7 smart meters are going to be made available in very near future.
I'm hoping maybe2018/2019 though I don't have any guaranteed date from SP.
Did you get any info on an installation date for your eco7 smart meter.

Sorry no further info---but SP coming on 26th March to install"economy 7 meter"----don't know what type but we can but hope!!!

\Kiteman