Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bombardment / harrassment from cold calls - smart meter fitting

posted by RUBEN1964 | A year ago

Is this a scam or just completely going against any telephone sales code of practice?

I am receiving from Scottish Power. 2 or 3 times per day every day. Totally unacceptable level of contact. It feels like hounding and bombardment. Im out 90% of the time but my phone registers the number so I know when i have received a call. Why are you hounding me? Why is it do urgent to spesk with me? Of it was urgent why doesn't the caller leave a message? I received half a message saying they were ringing on behalf of scottish power. They then rang off. Why on behalf of?  I then spoke to a person saying he was from Scottish Power (who knows if he was?); His pretence was that he was ringing about my smart meter order, there is no order, I haven't requested one. I refused to confirm my details to him, afterall if this is a scam why would I do that. When asked to confirm his details he sighed and put the phone down! What is going on. If I want a smart meter I will make my own decisions whether to have one and being bombarded is only going to make me want one less and I will definitely change providers if this  level of harrassment continues. Plus I will report to every social media channel I can think of.

37 comments

posted by  Eilidh | A year ago
Re: Bombardment / harrassment from cold calls - smart meter fitting

Hi @RUBEN1964, I do apologise for this.  Our team have  removed your details and you should no longer receive contact in regards to smart meters.  

posted by rpd | A year ago

I have the same problem

posted by Eastry | A year ago

So do I - not intersted until Smart meters V2 are being fitted so when you transfer they still work.

The way they harress customer just to hit their qutota has already put me off this company

posted by Sally | A year ago

I am having the same problem. Constant calls when I am work. Been happening for months. Is there a way I can register my disinterest in having a smart meter? Can someone tell me how I can be taken off their list - I can't answer when they call and I refuse to call someone back when I didn't ask for their call in the first place!!

posted by Eastry | A year ago

Email them or chat to them on lines when its convenient to you, since i told them I have not been contacted once

posted by Cersii | A year ago

Same problem here, constant harassment via phone, text and email multiple times a day. Pathetic practice to be honest.

posted by paulus | 11 months ago

Got a phone call today from Scottish Power  ? and they wanted to make an appointment to install a Smart Meter ,  i stated i had not requested one , the reply was " due to Government mandate every house should  be fitted with one " hence them contacting me to arrange it , i declined the offer as i do not think this is correct or even if it was Scottish power .  phone number was  01414658631 .  seems a few having same experience on here .

posted by RUBEN1964 | 11 months ago
It’s happening again. I haven’t received phone calls for months and suddenly my mobile is constantly being called. Luckily the caller has caller ID so I can ignore it

posted by Ronx | 11 months ago

I was having the same problem.  When I read up on the subject of smart meters, even though Government had requested all homes should be installed with a smart meter., it is clearly from this link that there is no legal requirement for any household to have one - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/smart-meters-how-they-work.  I have replied to constant emails from Scottish Power on this and have stated as I have an online account and manage my electricity that way, why do I need another gadget to cover that information.  So far haven't had another email from SP on the subject.