Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of a Smart Meter

posted by Ryan0306 | 11 months ago

Can someone please help me.

I was contacted by Scottish power regarding a smart meter, on the phone they advised me it would cost 12 pound a month for 24 months or 80 pound upfront then 5 pound a month for 24 months.

I then emailed and they said there is no charge for a smart meter, I've been trying to find out by all they keep asking me is what is the problem with my smart meter, but I don't have one! I'm trying to find out the cost.

Can anyone please let me know?

3 comments

posted by  Gordon | 11 months ago
Re: Cost of a Smart Meter

Hi @Ryan0306, I have altered the title of your post slightly, just in case anyone else has a similar question. 

It sounds like what you may be referring to is our Connect product, which allows you to control your heating remotely via your smartphone. It may make more sense once you see the pricing on the page here: https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/connect/

A Smart Meter is installed free of charge and the ongoing cost (which is very small) will be covered in the standing charge that is already included in your energy tariff. You can see more information on this topic on our Smart Meter FAQ's here: https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/energy-efficiency/smart-meters/faqs#fifteenfaq

posted by Jess21 | 6 days ago
I enquired about this and was told I would have to pay for a standard meter to be put back in as I'm prepayment. Then pay £150 and have a credit check before I could even start to have a smart meter put in! As you can imagine this did not go down well with myself. Are smart meters supposed to be free or not. And why should A I pay £150 and B have a credit check???
Highlighted

posted by Davc | 6 days ago

Smart meters are not charged for, what you would pay for is the privilege of moving from PAYG to a monthly bill meter. Does seem excessive though.