Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading Smart Meter data to CSV

posted by DHogg | A year ago

Hi There.
I have just had a smart meter installed and I am trying to download the data. My meter is set to send ½ hour readings. I can see the data (with a few missing days early on) at a daily level but I cannot see the hourly readings. Whilst I can see the readings I cannot download them as data ie CSV.

NB I have a smart meter installed in an overseas property and can download hourly readings as a CSV file. This helps when assessing whether to switch Time-Of-Day  charging. With Scottish Power I'm trying to work out what items are using the power.

15 comments

posted by  Gordon | A year ago
Re: Downloading Smart Meter data to CSV

Hi @DHogg welcome to the Community! At the moment Smart Meter data is just available to view online, however we are in the early days of the Smart Meter rollout and planning more advanced account features that will allow you to get more insight into your consumption like you have suggested. If we have any trials or prototypes related to this coming up would you be interested in taking part? We would love to get your feedback! 

Also this article may explain why you are missing a few days of readings if maybe you changed the frequency to half hourly? 

Highlighted

Top answer

posted by DHogg | A year ago
Yes that's fine. Before I retired, I was a data analyst and system controller for a national communications organisation

posted by ashmanq | A year ago

Hello,

I realise this post is 5 months old, has there been any progress in allowing us to download smart meter usage data in CSV format?

Currently you can only download the bill period usage data but you cant download the data from the smart meter usage information which is broken down to daily usage.

posted by AndyBarber | 11 months ago
Hi I would also be interested in any information regarding CSV download or api that might become available.

The ultimate goal would be some sort of integration with something like openhab

posted by Davc | 11 months ago

There are so many operational problems these days I think downloading of spreadsheet data is very unlikely to be worked on. 

posted by aSystemOverload | 6 months ago

Is there any progress with this.  I can't trust Scottish Power to adjust my Direct Debit to the correct amount, so I've cancelled my DD and want to manage it weekly myself.  But to do this effectively, I need the daily usage.

posted by Jonnel | 6 months ago
@aSystemOverload I would be wary of cancelling your DD unless you're in the run-down to a switch or closing an account - in some tariffs payment by DD is contractual and you could find yourself turfed off the tariff you want onto one you don't. There are ways to manage your account balance while on a DD payment method without it going too far into credit. Most of that is monthly monitoring, along with your other babking affairs, not 'set up and forget' like some people seem to do.

posted by aSystemOverload | 6 months ago
I understand what you're saying, but for the last six months they keep trying to hike my direct debit to £90+ despite my average spend being £50 to 60.
I've complained multiple times, but they seem to have no concept of basic math.

posted by Jonnel | 6 months ago

@aSystemOverload They're fond of doing that, arn't they - the online DD manager is a joke. I used to use that all the time but they changed the program on it so that you had to make a one-off payment to reduce your DD. I once tried to lower my DD by 84 pence for one month, and the system required a one-off payment of £200 to let me do it!!

What people can do, and always used to work, was to submit up-to-date EXTRA meter readings IMMEDIATELY after a monthly DD had been taken - definitely within a couple days. This use to fool the system into thinking your balance was high, in proportion to that day or two's usage, and drop the DD dramatically for the following month. You could do that at least three or four months in a row to drop your DD below your boots.

Used to work. Dont know if it still does,,,