Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eco7 smart meter rollout

posted by Donfor | A year ago

Hi

Is there any approx installation date for eco7 smart meter -i’m From Lanarkshire.

i.e. Is it 2018 2019 or later

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have registered online via sp though not heard anything since.

23 comments

Top answer

posted by  Gordon | A year ago
Re: Eco7 smart meter rollout
Hi @Donfor, meters that are compatible with Economy 7 are currently under development. They will be available once all testing has proved successful, at the moment this is looking to be early 2019. Although I would admit this is a conservative estimate, if we can make them available earlier we definitely will.

posted by Donfor | A year ago
Thanks SP
It’s reassuring to know eco 7 smart meters are in development

Thanks Stephen

posted by GWilliams | A year ago

Hi, I have a property that I rent out which is subject to the new EPC rules for letting. The house is currenty rated F36 but needs to be made more energy efficient to at least E 39-54. I have spoken to my EPC advisor who advised that the best solution would be to upgrade the immersion heater to Economy 7. However, the property has a standard Scottish Power smart meter and I am not sure how best to implement Economy 7. Moreover,  I understand that the deadline to meet the new EPC requirement is 2020 and therefore I do not want to invest in costly rewiring for Economy 7 immersion heating and separate Economy 7 meter only to find out that the new Economy 7 smart meters would negate the requirement  to install separate meter and wiring for Economy 7. I assume that Economy 7 smart meters would be quite advanced and would be able to record consumption of heavy loads during E7 periods? I would appreciate any advice and whether you believe that a Scottish Power Economy 7 smart meter would help the situation (assuming that Scottish Power Economy 7 smart meters will be introduced in 2019). Thanks

posted by robarthur | A year ago

Please could we have an official update to the rollout of Scottish Power's Eco 7 smart meter rollout?

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi Rob, we do not know what SP's plans are on this forum, so ask SP directly.

posted by robarthur | A year ago

I have already spoken to SP about economy 7. They said they are phasing it out because it was designed for night storage heaters. Their problem is replacing all the economy 7 meters, not fitting new ones. Their installers do not have any new economy 7 meters to install and it is unlikely this situation will change. They will not quote a rate for economy 7 tariffs until I get an ecomony 7 meter fitted and they are unable to fit an economy 7 meter. We have a small swimming pool which we would like to heat at night. We originally switched to SP to take advantage of their economy 7 tariff. We were told we had to take a standard tariff first, then change to economy 7 once the account had been set up. After 3 failed visits to install the economy 7 meter, they admitted that they do not have any new meters to fit, they will not fit a used meter, and they have no intention of ordering any new economy 7 meters. They advised me to find an installer to fit an economy 7 meter and then get back to them to change the tariff. I think this is probably the case with all electricity providers, so we've given up.

posted by GWilliams | A year ago
Hi, this seems consistent with my experience. I have tried to contact SP direct for guidance on Economy 7 and Smart meters but have received very little information.
Highlighted

posted by TenerC | A year ago
I'm having same problems, I WANT a smart meter. Was told I could have one, electrician came out and said I couldn't as I was e7 and Scottish don't do them. They say there testing them, yet eon and others are already supplying them.

posted by Aldo | 9 months ago

Hi,

Has there been any further update on Economy 7 and Smart meters ?

I have booked a smart meter install but don't want it without the Eco7 option.

There seems to be confusion as Scottish Power have told me that my tarif will not be affected in any way - which must be rubbish if they can't give me an electric smart meter with 2 readings on...

Would appreciate some clarity if anybody has any further info, 

many thanks

AC