Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Economy 7 and Smart Meters

posted by TrevorD | 2 years ago

I've been offered "Fixed Price for One Year" tariff.  It says it comes with a smart meter if I don't already have one.  But I am on Economy 7 and I had previously been told that the available smart meters are not consistent with Economy 7.  So,

- can I have a smart meter with Economy 7 now or

- can I not choose this tariff, or

- will choosing this tariff take me off Economy 7 and if so how can I tell if this is a good idea?

Any advice welcome!

12 comments

posted by Davc | 2 years ago
Re: Economy 7 and Smart Meters

I do not think the offer applied to you, economy 7 does not work with smart metering as far as I know.

Highlighted

posted by TrevorD | 2 years ago

Thank you.  It looks as though you are right.  Eventually I got an admission from the chat line that going for that option, when my smart meter was fitted, my Economy 7 meter would be taken away!  So no smart meter for me...

Highlighted

posted by Cherylm | A year ago
I just found out that other companies are using smart meters on economy 7 . Shall be swapping to ovo as soon as I can so I know what I'm actually using in pounds and pence instead of trying to work out kilowatts all the time. Also why can no-one tell me the exact time my night rate starts....just get told either between 11-6 or 12-7 can't find one person or anything on the area website to actually tell me which it is! Sorriest thing I ever did changing to this company!
Highlighted

posted by Cherylm | A year ago
My friend is with OVO and has a smart meter on economy 7. Apparently quite a few of the energy companies are supplying them now but when I asked for one was told they're not available. Will be changing supplier as soon as I can needless to say!
Highlighted

posted by Jomaro | A year ago

I have very opld storage heaters and now my direct debit has gone uo from £87 to £156 per month I can't afford that - am on benefits. No one seems to be able to assist and I am scared to swap - would a smart meter decreasse my charge and as mentioned by someone previously why are we not told exact times for on and off peak - have queried this many times and never given a satisfactory answer. If I can get the right help I will consider swapping to a cheaper supplier. 

Highlighted

posted by Davc | A year ago

Hi Jomaro.  Smart meters do not work very well with Economy 7 and storage heaters, you should avoid having a smart meter fitted. Anyway even if your property was suitable, a smart meter would not make your power cheaper. They measure power exactly the same as normal meters.

Highlighted

posted by Phantom | A year ago
Hi. I have the old economy 7 meter and the off peak rate applies from 01.00am - 08.00am. Also on the old meter you can actually hear a clicking sound when it changes from peak rate to of peak rate and vice versa. Hope this helps.
Highlighted

posted by Teedcee | A year ago

In reply to Cherylm`s post, about what time your Economy 7 starts and stops. I f your meter is in a place where you can see it, you can normally hear when the meter switches over, mine is 8.28am it switches off,  so it starts at 1.28am, obviously this changes when you alter the clocks.

Highlighted

posted by pravinsamgi1289 | 11 months ago

Hello I was requested economy 7  and smart meter ,when I joined.and the celseman told me to call ,customer service and make appointment.so please can you make appointment for both meters.thank you.