Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by whiteowl | A year ago
Re: Economy 7 and Smart Meters

Sorry but the community can't do this for you. You have to call SP on 0800 027 0072 your self to arrange this.  

Highlighted

posted by missionman | 3 months ago
Don't forget , that is Greenwich Mean Time and does not change. So as You say 0100 hrs to 0800hrs. Summer time is GMT+1 , I believe.
Highlighted

posted by TrevorD | 3 months ago
Thank you, missionman. So are you saying it's 1:00am to 8:00am in winter when we're on GMT and 2:00am to 9:00am during British Summer Time?
Highlighted

posted by BobTroll | 3 weeks ago

I can't advise whether you can have a smart meter with electric storage heaters, which are usually on a separate circuit controlled by a timeswitch.  That system always requires the economy seven tariff.

However, I can tell you that off-peak times will vary, according to your location the type of meter / timeswitch and your choice of supplier.  (And they are often different. )

If you have an old style mechanical clock,  the offpeak period will remian on GMT throughout the year, so the actual switchover will not change, when the clocks go forward to British Summer Time.   If you have a physical clock next to the meter,  you can check whether the it is showing the correct time.  (The clocks are often wrong, which may be in your favour.

But if you have a radio timeswitch, the company that operates the local distribution network broadcasts a radio signal, which controls all of the timeswitches in the area.   The switchover times are usually very accurate and everybody with that type of switch will have the same cheap rate period.  Similar accurate timings also apply to smart meters.

I have a radio teleswitch, so I replaced the on/off switch for one of my storage heaters with a switch that has a neon indicator.  That way, I can always check whether my supply is on the day or night rate (which in my area, runs from 10:30  pm until 12:30 am and again, from 2:30 am until 7:30 am).