Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by margo354 | 2 months ago
Re: Economy 7 and smart meters.
This sounds exactly the same set up as we have, and I really hope we won’t need any more rewiring! We are pretty rural too but I know a few people who have smart meters in the area (whether they work properly is another question haha). Have you been offered a solution using other meters to replace your existing set up since they can’t provide a smart meter in your location?

posted by DavC1 | 2 months ago

@geoffsid   Thanks Geoff that is a really good description of what SP need to do  to get rid of Comfort Plus.   Sorry if I had old information in my last post and its good to know that rewiring is not needed.

posted by geoffsid | 2 months ago
Margo354: I believe that so long as you can get a signal for the meter then a 5 port smart meter will do the job, but you still need to see that it is fitted correctly and that your supplier is offering E7 and has it activated with the new meter. One problem seems to be that some of the fitters are not up to date with this and are leaving broken installations which the energy suppliers are then telling customers it is their responsibility to rectify! If you have no signal like me, then for now at least you are snookered. My strategy is to do nothing for now and to give an ear bashing to anyone who will listen.
Please don't take anything I have said as gospel, it is only my layman's understanding of a chaotic situation. Try complaining to your MP, AM, Senedd Member, Ofgen or whoever.

posted by margo354 | 2 months ago
Thanks Geoff I’m still not switched over to Scottish Power fully yet, so will get on to the economy 7 tariff with them first and book an appointment for the smart meter once I’m set up with them. The company I’m switching from Eon Next wouldn’t even give me an economy 7 tariff because they didn’t seem to understand the meter set up which I thought was ridiculous. I think like you I will put a note on the booking for the meter and explain I need a 5 port smart meter then discuss it with the engineer when they turn up. If they can’t do it properly I’ll need to wait same as you til they approach us which surely they have to do before 2023!