Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas smart meter not showing any display

posted by Sparks196 | A year ago
I recently had new smart meters installed and have today turned on the little black box they give you.
It shows nothing for gas usage, and when I checked the gas meter, the display for meter readings isn't even on? What do i do?
18 comments

posted by Hooloovoo | A year ago
Re: Gas smart meter not showing any display
The display on the gas meter is battery powered so it is normal for the display to turn off and allow the battery to last longer. I believe they are designed to last for 10 years. Your meter should have 3 buttons on it. One showing a left arrow, one a circle, and one a right arrow. Pressing the circle button in the middle will turn on the display and backlight for approximately 10 seconds to allow you to manually take the reading. I figured this out by pressing the buttons just to see what they did, but I understand some people may not be as cavalier as me when it comes to pressing buttons!

posted by Davc | A year ago
Great answer, so if battery powered for only 10 seconds how does it work the IHD? I had thought that the gas meters were powered up and only needed a battery for power cuts. Maybe different models work in different ways. It would be good if this was on SPs website.

posted by Davc | A year ago

Reading other forums like digital spy, it seems gas meters are never mains powered and instead have long life batteries. The gas meter is connected to a mains powered  hub by Zigbee radio which has a very low power consumption. The hub then handles comms to the IHD, the smart electric meter and the energy provider. Some users are reporting battery failures and sadly this turns off the gas and needs an engineer to install a new battery. The gas meters also have buttons which can be used by consumers to show readings. Usually the screen is blank and has to be woken up by pressing a button. Different meters have different button layouts. The consumer only has to use these if the IHD has failed or the meter is in ‘dumb’ mode. 

So, living with a smart gas meter is a bit different to a smart electric meter, this explains why so many IHD users say their gas readings are not up to date, because to conserve power the gas meter only talks to the hub at certain intervals, and is not in real time contact. 

The 10 second timeout I referred to in my previous answer relates only to the display and backlight.

The meter itself wakes up (without the display coming on) every 30 minutes and transmits the current reading to the electricity meter.  As you say, the electricity meter then handles the communication to the IHD and the upstream energy provider.

It does say in the insstructions left by Scottish Power that the gas meter reading on the IHD only updates every 30 minutes, unlike the electric usage which refreshes every 10 seconds.

The instructions for the IHD can be found here.  Note specifically the panel titled "View energy use across a time frame" where it says:

"Please note, your gas meter updates the In-Home display every half an hour, whereas the electricity is updated every 10 seconds."

To answer the second part of the OPs question regarding the IHD not showing any readings, if that is the case then it's likely that the gas meter hasn't been paired correctly and this will need an installer visit to correct.  It's disappointing to hear you've only just turned on the display having had the meters fitted "recently".  If the installer had done their job properly then the IHD should have been turned on, setup, and demonstrated during the installation at which point it would have been obvious the gas meter wasn't updating.

Busted link. Here is the correct link to the IHD intructions.

https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/pdf/smart-meters/Smart-energy-display-user-guide.pdf

This so-called forum really needs an edit function.

posted by Lizz | A year ago

Have had smart meters installed since last September.  IHD has never worked properly except for a day after it was installed.  To date same situation persists and in addition, whereas I was able to see meter readings on my phone app till a couple of weeks ago, this function now is blank, I have spoken to many people at SP and am told various answers.  The latest was that they were aware of no meter readings appearing on app and this would be rectified in a couple of months.  They said they were able to receive my gas and electric meter readings but if I want to check myself, have to read meters manually and being a bit elderly this exercise was to be taken over by the Smart Meters.  I was told last year that my meters would be replaced early this year as the meters I have are the first version and SP know they dont work effeciently.  Needless to say I am still waiting.

posted by chinnorwarriors | A year ago

My smart meter has not worked from day 1.   How about a replacement.

xxxxxxxxxx

[Mod edit: Please do not share personal details as your posts are visible to the public. Thanks!]

posted by plantfoot | A year ago
When my smart meters were installed the guy told me that the gas meter sends its data to the electricity meter and it is the electricity meter which sends all the data to SP and smart readout in my home