Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Hot water

posted by captainbirdseye | 3 years ago

Is it cheaper to heat water on night rate electricity or day rate gas.

7 comments

Top answer

posted by Davc | 3 years ago
Re: Hot water

Good question, look at your bills and you will see the cost in p/kwh for off peak electricity and for your gas. Gas is always a lot cheaper than electricity but is not quite so efficient at heating water. With an immersion heater all the heat goes in the water, but a gas boiler has only a certain conversion efficiency. Gas is normally about 4p/kwh so unless the elctricity is in the range of about 6p I would stick to gas.

Highlighted

posted by captainbirdseye | 3 years ago

Thanks Davc..Scottish Power energy helpline didn't understand the question.Duh!

Highlighted

posted by Mary | A year ago
can you help please ,is it cheaper for me to leave my heating on low all the time or set a timer .Thank you
Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | A year ago

@Mary How long is a piece of string? You have to take into account how low/high you set your CH. whether you have all your doors open/closed. Thermostatic valves on radiators? How long your timers are set to be on? How draughty is your home? Do you have a cylinder for domestic hot water etc.

Also, are you out at work all day,  do you get up early/stay up late? is your boiler (if it is a gas boiler) efficient, a combi,  old, new, reliable... The list is endless. There's also some debate over whether one or other is better, as consistent heating can reduce condensation but shorten the life of modern boilers.

I suggest you try both ways for a week or two, reading  your meters before/during and after. Do the maths and make a decision based on what you actually find works for your home.

Highlighted

posted by Davc | A year ago
Hi Mary. A follow up to Jonnel. I think you were talking about home heating not the hot water. Most people say only turn on the heating when you are home and need it. There is little benefit in warming the house all day. One exception would be when there is a risk of internal pipes freezing. In that case you could leave heating on with thermostat set to 10 degrees.
Highlighted

posted by Paganchoice | 4 months ago

A friend who has worked for an energy company has told me I am spending too much on gas I have a gas boiler She advised me to turn the water off when i am not using it I assumed though that Scottish Power take the daily rate

Does anyone know if this is correct or should i wait to see how much i am saving i have never ever turned the water off on the boiler but after a while i have got used to it Does anyone have an opinion Thank you

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 4 months ago

@Paganchoice   Do you mean you leave hot water running to waste all day long? That would be very expensive, whenever your boiler is lit and making hot water it costs you money.