Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by jsmart | 11 months ago
Re: How do Smart meters actually communicate
It would be lovely if my smart meter did communicate with my provider Scottish Power but they still send for readings and even when I phone there appears to be nothing that anyone can do to make the smart meter smart!

posted by ScotStu | 11 months ago
Similar problem... Meters installed last year, electric meter sending data, but Gas has never talked to electric meter and I have to take readings for the gas to save receiving estimated bills. How do I get SP to fix this?

posted by Davc | 11 months ago
Hi it’s likely you are right with your understanding of the problem. Basically the installer did not check the link beteen gas and electric meters. You have every right to complain and get SP to get the installer back to do the job correctly. I hope SP don’t let you down.

posted by johnw | 10 months ago

"It would be lovely if my smart meter did communicate with my provider Scottish Power but they still send for readings ....."

How lucky you are JSmart. My meter does not comminucate with SP, and SP don't communicate with me. I have asked to go back to the days when they actually requested meter readings, but nothing doing. It appears that's beyond the realms of possibility. They don't get a reading, so simply generate an estimated bill which is posted online. I don't get told about that either, so the onus is on me not only to provide readings when I think I should, but also to check online to see if they have posted any bills. I find the whole system entirely unsatisfactory, and have told them so. Their response has basically been, take it or leave it. 

posted by Davc | 10 months ago

High Johnw, you hit the nail on the head, this is the internet age and if you don't look after your account nobody  will do it for you. Its a pity about all the people who do not have internet and don't understand such things, so we are lucky having online accounts, aren't we?

posted by mrsmart | 10 months ago

thats all fine but apparently they fited equipment that will not talk to one another and for over 2 yrs my gas meter readings have been estimated and for over 2 yrs scotish power has denied any problems. but recently i spoke to an engineer who told me my meter needs comitioning, i contact scotish power over this and they said

"Thank you for your email. 

Since the date of my last email it has been identified that there is a potential software issue with the gas meter that you have installed at the property. This is also affecting other customers and we are working to identify the exact cause of the fault and if this is in fact a software fault or a signal issue. Based on the information I have received from the installer in your area, your meter has been commissioned so I must apologise that you have been given conflicting information by the engineer who called. Unfortunately at this time there is no fix in place for this issue so there is no timescale for this at present. 

Please be assured your details have been passed to the relevant teams and once we are in a position to resolve this matter you will be contacted. 

Once again I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

Kind regards

this basicly means that they are fiting equipment that does not work as i find it difficult to understand how as per earlier discription on how they work my gas meter will not talk to my electric meter when they are less than 3 feet apart explanations please.

posted by AndySwain | 10 months ago
We, too, have the "gas meter not communicating with the electric meter" problem. The meters are external to the building, about 40cm apart, and not near any other source of interference.
Last May, we were told that Scottish Power were doing their utmost to get the equipment suppliers and installers to fix the problem as soon as possible...
In the meantime, we should (do battle with the buttons on the G4SZV gas meter, to try to read it, and) submit the readings to Scottish Power ourselves.
They agreed to give a token compensation, and then closed the complaint, leaving us still waiting for a fix, 5 months later!

posted by mrsmart | 10 months ago

I personally think it’s a disgrace as they have now closed my complaint and this issue has gone on for over 2 years without resolving it so I have approached the ombudsman for a resolution. this is what my meter says which confirms its clearly not commitioner despit what they say.20180804_163724.jpg

posted by Davc | 10 months ago

If I were there I would press and hold the black spot to do the commissioning. Have you tried it?

posted by sheenamac | A month ago
Exact same problem with mine. Is there any way for a consumer to reset the link between the two meters?