Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by chrismw | 3 months ago
Re: I don't want a Smart meter
I've just had very persuasive young lady trying to bully me into having a smart meter. She had an answer for everything and hinted by the end of 2020 I wouldn't have much choice in the matter anyway. She said they would phone again in 6 months time despite me saying I didn't want them to.

posted by Jonnel | 3 months ago
At the moment they're not compulsory so stick to your guns and say no. If she wont give up nust politely say no and hang up - they'll get the message eventually. As for 2020.... there are some circumstances where smart meters just wont work so I seriously doubt anyone would be forced to have one fitted.

If you don't want one, don't have one.

posted by cmp | A month ago
I will not have one in my house.

posted by Milokino | 3 weeks ago
Surely you have to have Internet in your house for the meter to to send data ?
I don't have WiFi in my home 😁
Break my door down I'm not having one!!

posted by Davc | 3 weeks ago

@Milokino   It is your choice if you want a smart meter or not, but it does not work by WiFi. The meters send data to SP by mobile phone signal, and send to the display by weak short range radio contact. 

posted by cmp | 3 weeks ago
I also WILL NOT HAVE a smart meter. I to have complained. Remember IT IS NOT COMPULSARY to have a smart meter. These people are bullying us but it will not work......

posted by Jonnel | 3 weeks ago
Lots of people don't want them and in lots of situations they just won't work correctly. I'm dreading the time energy providers start making time-sensitive tariffs the ONLY tariffs available, because then, smart meters will become compulsory if you want to stay with them and BANG.... there goes ease of switching and marketplace competition...

posted by whiteowl | 3 weeks ago
Sorry but SP has already started this. Certain tariffs on MSE contain you have to install within 3mth's or they will put you on a standard tariff. BG has olso put some tariffs with this on their T&C's The compulsory tariffs have already started.
Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | 3 weeks ago
@whiteowl Yes, tariffs that make having a smart meter compulsory have been out a while, but I'm talking about the bigger picture, when the ONLY tariffs available are time-sensitive... You know, higher unit rates between 6am to 9am and 5pm to 9pm, when most people are getting ready for the day and getting home from work, wanting to relax or entertain.

When they are the ONLY tariffs available you'll either HAVE to get a smart meter to benefit or find a supplier who doesn't see any profit in making more money out of its customers... That's sarcasm btw... there wont be any, of course.

So switching suppliers will be harder or pointless, and customer savings created by competition, will die.

posted by Davc | 3 weeks ago

@Jonnel @whiteowl   There are not enough smart meters yet to start time-linked tariffs, only about 25% are in place. BG and others have tried some experiments with lower tariffs at weekends and nights, but nobody has yet tried higher tariffs. These stick and carrot prices are a government plan  to make better use of wind and solar and reduce the need for standby gas generation. The idea may well be put into practice mainly  by off-peak tariff reductions. Nobody knows where this would leave fixed price contracts and Economy 7.   We are looking at 2025 at least before anything happens on a significant scale.    If there are carrots around it may well speed up the smart programme, which is unlikely to meet its target of being complete by the end of 2020.   Household batteries would also speed up the use of off-peak tariffs, but the batteries are expensive and it needs companies to offer a rental scheme, perhaps that will be the next big change? Who knows?  But these changes are not merely profiteering, they are all part of a plan for greener energy,  electric vehicles, and better power management on a national level.