Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

posted by whiteowl | 6 months ago
Re: I don't want a Smart meter
But and this is a big BUT they are if you want the cheapest tariffs. This is how they are getting around this. Sneaky.
Highlighted

posted by picklesayr | 4 months ago

Do not succumb tho there empty threats, do not allow them an invasion of your privacy, they will use your information to sell on to 3rd parties, No Chance !

Highlighted

posted by Davc | 4 months ago
@picklesayr. Almost anything these days generates data that can be sold, card transactions, internet searches and transactions, mobile phone calls - you name it - that is modern life. I can’t think data from smart meters like kWh usage is more useful than from normal meters which is used to sell you boiler service contracts.
Highlighted

posted by Jonnel | 4 months ago
@picklesayr You're absolutely right. It's a shame people weren't educated about the possibilities of their information being sold on when the rollout started. A simple google search brings up countless data management companies that advertise how they can break customer usage patterns down for marketing purposes.

Plus, smart meter programs and data can be altered remotely to change usage rates and therefore costs - or cut a customer off.
Highlighted

Yes rates can be altered by time of day, that is the whole reason for smart meters. As for being cut off. no supplier is going to cut off a customer who pays his bills, but as for those who don’t pay- they can’t live on free electricity for ever.
Highlighted

Most people have moved on from the "Aren't-Scottish-Power-so-wonderful-for-providing-me-with-electricity-and-gas" scenario that some people are still labouring under. People have moved on from believing their rates will be properly managed by a firm that can't even provided working kit. People are wiser than thinking their accounts will be managed competently by a firm who can't even refund overpayments. Some people aren't happy a firm who send debt collectors round to customers in credit won't cut them off remotely due to the same mistakes in customer relations.

A firm with such a bad reputation for customer service shouldn't have access to customers usage patterns - they can't be trusted to manage them properly, shouldn't be allowed to profit from something they get for free.
Highlighted

Ofgem and Information Commissioner state customers can opt out of sharing smart meter data. This is probably opted in automatically in the small print of your fuel contract, but you do have the right to opt out if you want to.  Like most things in society our every action is tracked and used for marketing. I don’t mind people selling me things, it can be useful and of course you don’t have to purchase. 

Then if you're okay with it, that's great. For you. Personally, I think it's noble for a few guileless souls to sacrifice their privacy so those who don't want to can be left alone.
But that's no reason to believe it's fine for everyone. Is is so hard to believe people who don't know something should be steamrollered over just because they don't know that thing?

That's a dangerous road to travel down - far too many totalitarian states in the world already.