Welcome to the community
Simply ask, learn and share
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

posted by Davc | A year ago
Re: I don't want a Smart meter

You can still take a reading from a smart meter, either on the meter itself, or using the IHD. You dont have to wait for a meter reader, take a reading yourself and phone it in.

posted by Wotto | A year ago

Don't get One!

there is no point in having one. The installation of my meter has been a fiasco. After nearly 2 months, numerous complaints,  installation of a replacement it's still not working. My online account doesn't work properly now and I can't monitor energy usage - which I used to do quite happily before the Smart meter fiasco.

there is absolutely no point in having. Smart meter. 

posted by Wotto | A year ago

Do you know the really bizarre thing. I don't think anyone now knows why Smart meters should be installed or what the benefits are.

all that stuff about saving us money is a nonsense, pre- Smart meters we could use on line accounts to monitor and compare usage .

Nationwide, the costs of buying and installing all these meters must be enormous and it us - the customers who will pay.

posted by Davc | A year ago

The smart meter programme is intended to enable short term changes to tariffs to prevent peak demand surges. This 'management' of demand is supposed to need fewer power stations and more efficient use of the resources. So the benefit is only indirectly to the consumer, all the TV adverts about Leccy and Gas are patronising waffle. If you want to control your power usage you do not need a smart meter, just turn switches off. 

Unfortunately the roll-out of the programme is going terribly wrong, but that is a different story.

posted by Raj | A year ago
Hi
I just had a smart meter put in, only electric as a man travelled from Portsmouth but wasn’t trained to put the gas smart metre. Waste of my time! I am abit concerned that your bills are estimated despite having a Meter. How will I know if my bill is estimated like yours?

posted by Norwichperson | A year ago
Same Here. I do not want or need one. This is purely for the industries benefit to extract information, only to later on find ways of charging us more. Find it mind boggling that people are actually buying into this .... that they are somehow being done a favour ...

posted by noel | 5 months ago

After continuous messages and emails insisting on installing a smart meter, I decided to arrange an appoiment to do it but a few weeks later I changed my mind so I asked to Scottispower to replace the meter for the previous one (analogue meter) as is not mandatory but they told me that they could not give me this service (even paying for it) and that the only thing I could do was to switch to another supplier. I can't even buy a new meter and pay someone competent to change it because this is illegal. But is it legal to be denied his service? Help please. 

posted by Davc | 5 months ago

Hello Noel, Yes it is true you would have to pay to change your meter and SP will not agree to do this because they are trying to get everyone switched to smart meters. Why do you want to switch back? You might find another supplier prepared to do the job but there would have to be a good  reason. 

posted by Jonnel | 5 months ago

@noel  Then do as they suggest and switch - there are plenty of other suppliers out there and some offer to pay exit fees should you incur any. The switch process is painless and trouble-free and there's no interruption to your supply, all you have to do is ask for it and the NEW supplier you choose drives the process for you.

I'm reliably informed Bulb will remove smart meters (at a cost) but I do not think the analogue meters are made anymore so you might have to have a digital one fitted. But at least it won't be smart and you won't get an IHD (that, in a lot of cases, doesn’t work anyway) so no loss there.

Call them and ask, or use the webchat they offer.

posted by Jayselad | 3 months ago
I'm the same I will not ever have a smart meter not only taking away jobs if I want to use another supplier it will be hell to swap. So when I find a better deal Scottish power can do one. Constant calls messages and emails. Even the poor meter reader guy. Sweet ole fella had to give me a leaflet about swapping. I simply said no I'm not putting you out of a job. For another useless gadget I won't look at and is monitoring me. I have enough Alexa's for that!!